CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Antifreeze Leaking

saziygrl

I just purchased a 1996 Cadallac Eldarado with 124,000. I've only had it for 2 weeks...the first week the 'service transmission' light came on...caddy dealer said the input speed sensor needed to be replaced and it would cost 1500...this week 'check coolant level' light came on...small leak near the coolant resevoir and water pump...any ideas what could really be the problem....service departments see a female coming and $$$$ pop into their heads.....

Check your diagnostic codes for the tranny problem. Key on, engine off, press and hold the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate control until the message center lights up. the messages will come up in the message center. Write them down and report back and someone will decode them. When you get to "PCM?" it is done just hit the "auto" button or turn the key off.

As far as the leak, check hose connections in the areas you see coolant. It could be a waterpump seal, it is an easy fix if you get the waterpump tool (about $25). You might buy a little time by putting some Barsleak gold powder at Walmart and put it in the upper hose, not the resevoir. Try the searchable archives for more info.

PAUL T.

Unless your independently wealthy it would be to your

finiancial benefit to stay clear of the stealer. Either do

the work yourself or find a local garage that you can trust.

Either way search this board and you'll find plenty of

information to get you going.

Thanks Paul T and jschunke...I will try to get the code first and get back to the board....unfortunately I don't know a good garage I would trust since repairs can be quite costly...I've made an appoint with the caddy dealership to check it out tomorrow...if I go in there with the code then I stand less of a chance of them trying to rip me off....I'm not one of those independantly wealthy type of person....

Thanks Paul T and jschunke...I will try to get the code first and get back to the board....unfortunately I don't know a good garage I would trust since repairs can be quite costly...I've made an appoint with the caddy dealership to check it out tomorrow...if I go in there with the code then I stand less of a chance of them trying to rip me off....I'm not one of those independantly wealthy type of person....

I am not sure if the Service Transmission comes on for a code. How was the car running when the Service Transmission came on was it still shifting correctly?

That Service Transmission could have meant that you needed a fluid change..

What city do you live in, I am sure we can suggest a good mechanic given the size of this board. Post your codes when you get a chance, I have a 96 Deville, I will look over my manual about the Service Tranny message.. Mike

The need to service the "input speed sensor" on the trans indicates a car that was driven hard, which is not a bad thing with the NS. The price tag includes rebuilding the entire thing, as tackling this problem involves removing the trans in most cases. If you can get a 2 year warrantee on the entire trans, than 1500 bucks is not a bad price. Most trans shops will not guarantee just replacing the speed sensor, as they have to tear into it to fix the problem. Most trans shops know of this problem, and know damned well that if they don't service it fully, they are at risk if they guarantee just the speed sensor, so most do not. I've seen speed sensors "go" at 60 grand! If you can get a 2 year guarantee for the entire trans, for 1500 bucks, and you like the car, go for it! 1500 bucks is not a bad price if you get the entire thing guaranteed for 2 years, which is the common. To replace the speed sensor is 800 bucks minimum, and no shop will guarantee it if you do just that.

Did you find out what code? Is it current or a history? If it is a history clear it and wait for it to come back. I would not act on a first time history code. If it is a problem it will show up again. If it does not come up again then there is no fault.

As for the waterpump / hose leak take a look for yourself. Replace/tighten any leaking hoses and replace failed pumps. Water pump should take about an hour to change and the part should be less than 100 at the dealer. In fact new ones run across Ebay quite a bit in the 25-50 dollar range. Be sure and change the water pump drive belt and lube the tensioner when/if the pump is replaced.

HTH

John

The need to service the "input speed sensor" on the trans indicates a car that was driven hard

Why do you state this? The trans input speed sensor has no way of knowing if the car was driven hard... The sensors go bad with heat, age, time.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hmm, I looked my manual over and the Service Transmission Message comes on for a whole host of reasons, including the Input Speed Sensor (P0716 & P0717). What was the outcome of this, is the car still at the mechanic? Press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on your AC and the computer will give you codes. Write down the information that you see on the dash, if you miss some I think you can press off again and it will re-cycle the info. Post the codes here that you get and we can look them over for you.

Again let us know what city you are near, maybe someone has an honest cracker jack mechanic for you, Mike

Archived