CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air Filter

I can't tell you anything about the Fram "Air Hog". I can tell you to stay away from the K&N unless you make other changes to your car. To take full advantage of the K&N's lower restrictions, you would need to "open up" your exhaust system, making it more free flowing. I've read some reports that the K&N is not as effective at removing small abrasive particles from the air as is a stock paper element air filter. If that is true, any changes you make from the stock air filtration system would come with a pricetag of reduced engine life. One of the best air filters reviewed on another website is the Baldwin. Good filtration with slightly increased flow. If it's the only thing you're going to change, I'd go with the Baldwin.

That being said, as soon as I find a Baldwin air filter for my otherwise stock '99 STS, I'm taking my K&N out. Anybody want the old one?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

This weekend, i'm going to put on Dynomax super turbo mufflers. I guess i will save the money, as far as the air filter goes.

One other question, Will drilling holes in the lower front part of the air box help or hurt? Again, i'm just looking for better air flow without wasting money

I think the general consensus is it won't do much good though I know some guys here have tried it. Check the archives. There have been some lively discussions about it.

To paraphrase our most illustrious member "bbobynski", "everything has been done to this car to get the best performance, quietness, and drivability. If knocking holes in the airbox would help anything, GM would have put them in already" Or something to that effect.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

IMO unless actually changing the intake piping an aftermarket filter is quite useless........now I made a custom intake on my 4.9 and used a K&N....plus im going the dynomax route too......the new air intake is great...sounds meaner....and ive noticed better gas mileage too....

This weekend, i'm going to put on Dynomax super turbo mufflers. I guess i will save the money, as far as the air filter goes.

One other question, Will drilling holes in the lower front part of the air box help or hurt? Again, i'm just looking for better air flow without wasting money

Putting any openings in the air filter inlet chambers/runners, is a bad idea. It will put you at high risk of ingesting water, in a high water or flooded street condition. Hydrostatic lock is fatal to your engine.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Hehe....that "Butt Dyno" remark of his was priceless. I've got the Corsa system on my car, and I can tell you that a K&N filter still doesn't make enough of a difference to warrant the $40 I spent on it. I ended up returning it a few days later, and got a fram paper filter. It worked just as good as the OEM one, but was orange, and therefor more cool. :lol: . I've since then switched back to just using regular paper filters sicne I've seen no benefits from the K&N. The holes in the airbox, is something I've heard alot about. From what people have said, if done right, and in conjunction with the right mods, it can be somewhat effective. I'mm not sure how much can be gained from it, but people have tried it and said it did something. Overall, more air in isn't really going to do much, unless you can flow all that extra air back out (high flow exhaust). I would stcik with the paper filter, since it seems to work perfectly fine. The Fram Air Hog is the same type of filter as the K&N, and I would expect it would work the same.

I tried a K&N filter as well. Boy I sure thought I was going to feel some kind of change for $50. Turned out that my wallet felt $50 lighter and $0.00 faster. When I was younger I used to fall prey to the "if it sounded louder" or I had spent good money on a "performance" accessory then it Must make my car faster. I'm pretty sure that has happened to most of us at one time or another. Of course some do work.

So I put in my usual Metallica CD (loud enough so I can't hear the engine) and do my normal driving. No change. A month later.... no change. 6 months later.... no change. After a year of atypical dirt road driving and a cruded up filter I realize that K$N wants another 10-20 bucks for a filter cleaner/reconditioner that in my opinion was a waste of money in the first place. Back to paper.

During the K&N tryout I installed napa true fit performance mufflers a few months in. They made a noticeable difference in gas mileage as well as off the line.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I've got Dynomax Super turbos and a modified box with numerous 1/8th holes drilled on the lower sides and upper end of the box combined with a K & N filter. I drilled each hole at a slight upward angle in an attempt to thwart any water that might get on the box. Any water that might make it through will be trapped by the oil on the filter. If water were to get into the intake, your car is most likly submerged B) . I do agree the most important thing to do is to go with a new exhaust system to open the flow regardless of your personal chopice of air filters.

post-3-1107194925_thumb.jpg

If you plan on keeping your car for a long time I would buy the K&N and a filter charger kit and just reuse the K&N filter and not worry about replacemnents. But if you aren't going to keep it just buy an AC DELCO or FRAM and be happy with them, they work great. I bought the K&N filter and charger kit for my 98 STS and I have no complaints about its performance.

Archived