CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fog Lamps as DRL

JimD

For those of you who enjoy personalizing your favorite ride, here is how I modified my fog lamps as Daytime Running Lamps. Not intended as a discussion of the merits of DRL; I believe in being seen.

My '98 Seville was the test bed but the general idea should apply to other years and models that have fog lamps. Consult your Service Manual for wire color coding.

Some surgery is required; not for the novice DIYer.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Not yet!

Seat of the pants would indicate the '98 is quicker. But, the '04 has less than 3,000 miles and the engine has not loosened up (gas mileage is still under 20 MPG).

In a few months I could use an experienced Northstar driver to help me run some head-up tests, LOL.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Sorry, no pix. What would you be interested in seeing?

When the temp. climbs a little I plan on doing the '04 and could shoot some if that would help you.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I would never have thought of that. What a cool modification!

When you go lookin' for drivers, keep me in mind please. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 1 month later...

Seems like a lot of work for no gain to me. The customize part I understand, but really don't see a point to this since the fog lights really suck and are only good for annoying other drivers at best. Now if you can tell me how to turn the fogs into driving lights (as in a long narrow beam that I can see further up ahead with) then I'll get right on it.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

• 1 year later...

....When you go lookin' for drivers, keep me in mind please.

I'm ready now, Warren. The DTS has passed 20,000 miles and is running as quick as it ever will.

But I drive the STS!!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Nice idea, I've seen the new caddys do this with their front parking lights, much better than the head lights in my opinion.

Seems like a lot of work for no gain to me. The customize part I understand, but really don't see a point to this since the fog lights really suck and are only good for annoying other drivers at best. Now if you can tell me how to turn the fogs into driving lights (as in a long narrow beam that I can see further up ahead with) then I'll get right on it.

You don't get any thick snow, heavy rain, fog, where using the high beams hinders vision and the regular lights are to high to illuminate the road effectively and look like a "nothingness" in front of you, or illuminate each snow flake/rain drop and cause white out effect.

Fog Lamps are great for simply lighting up ground so you can stay on the road, they are not designed to take the place of regular headlights. If they are detracting other drivers they are aimed much to high.

With that said my 98' doesn't have them but there are times when I wish it did.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

....When you go lookin' for drivers, keep me in mind please.

I'm ready now, Warren. The DTS has passed 20,000 miles and is running as quick as it ever will.

But I drive the STS!!

Darn! :lol:

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived