CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

THUMPING

VERLO

1995 CONCORD WITH 71000 MILES. WHEN I GO OVER BUMPS NO MATER WHICH FRONT WHEEL HITS THE BUMP I GET A THUMPING IN THE FRONT OF THE CAR. I CAN PUSH UP AND DOWN ON THE FRONT BUT IT WILL NOT DO IT . THE STRUTS SEEM TO BE OK BECAUSE WHEN I PUSH ON THE FRONT THERE IS NO BOUNCE. I HAVE HAD GREAT RESPONCE ON OTHER QUESTIONS AND ALWAYS HAVE CORRECT SO THNKE AND HELP.. THANK YOU

Definitely go after the stabiliser mounting bushings. Simple and easy and most often the source of a noise like that. The bushings will not make any noise when you bounce the front end as the bar is not loaded unless one wheel has to move at a different height than the other..i..e..one wheel rolls thru a pot hole. Then the stab bar bushings are heavily loaded and can collapse and let the bar ground out. They can look fine and still be beat out so that the bar grounds. Just replace them.

Bbobynski,

Will or could worn stabilizer bar bushings cause a sound similair to chewing on a rubber band? I get that sound from the front end when going over bumps at lower speeds (5-30mph). It could be happening at higher speeds but I'm unable to hear or notice it.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Bbobynski,

Will or could worn stabilizer bar bushings cause a sound similair to chewing on a rubber band? I get that sound from the front end when going over bumps at lower speeds (5-30mph). It could be happening at higher speeds but I'm unable to hear or notice it.

-kg

kger2,

Despite the question was addressed to bbobynski :) , the sound I had when going over bumps at lower speeds was kind of plastic piece hitting something made from metal.

It appeared to be the splash shield hitting the bar. The bushing (insulator) looked bad (was eaten by oil dripping from the engine). I replaced the bushing, link and lower ball joint all together and the noise was gone.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived