CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WOT

JIMDTS

Did some wot today in second gear I did about 20+ times today. I used second gear ran the engine up to redline just over 6000rpm let the engine load and slowed down to abot 45 or 50 and repeated the process about 20+ times. Trying to blow out some carbon.

This should have cleaned it up ok.You really noticed the fuel gauge drop doing these wot's

The other day I had a check oil light come on and had to add 2 quarts of oil in 1450mi. Now It's to the proper oil level half way up the hash marks on the dip stick. I had the oil changed at the dealer awhile back and right on the bill it mentioned they added 8.8 quarts of oil during the oil change. Now time will tell as to whats up with the engine why it I used 2 quarts of oil in 1450mi. I never checked the oil fill level after the oil change but it will be a must do the next time or I'll just change it myself. The cars on the expreesway stayed away from me after a couple of these wot they probably thought I was nuts..First time I drove it like you just stole it.

Cheers

Jim

Speaking of WOT's, can I do these with my 4.9L engine and if so, what's the procedure? :huh:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Speaking of WOT's, can I do these with my 4.9L engine and if so, what's the procedure? :huh:

You CAN do it on any engine. Just plant your right foot firmly on the floor and hold it there til the trans shifts. Having said that I seem to recall Bill saying that it is not as neccassary (but still fun) with the 4.9 as it does not have the close tolerances (squish area) in the combustion chamber that the Northstar does.

The other day I had a check oil light come on and had to add 2 quarts of oil in 1450mi. Now It's to the proper oil level half way up the hash marks on the dip stick. I had the oil changed at the dealer awhile back and right on the bill it mentioned they added 8.8 quarts of oil during the oil change. Now time will tell as to whats up with the engine why it I used 2 quarts of oil in 1450mi.

The reason it burned all that oil is because they WAY overfilled it. You're supposed to add 7 quarts to the oil change. 7.5 quarts max. A full 8 is too much. Getting on to 9 quarts is way too much.

However, your engine actually burned about 4 quarts during that time period. The engine had over 9 quarts in it after the oil change ("all" of it doesn't drain out). The check oil level light will come on when the level in the sump is equal to about 5 total quarts in the system, which is about 2 quarts "underfull". It's still plenty safe to drive, and remember that if you park it on an uphill (the sensor is in the front of the pan), it'll see "low oil" more often and it may not actually be low.

The proper level for the oil is right in the middle of the 'stick when the engine is FULLY warm. Check it on a level surface after giving it plenty of time to fully warm up (5-10 miles). The next time you have the dealership do the change, bring your old receipt to them with the 8.8 quarts circled and ask that they never do that again. Ask them to verify the proper oil quantity. 8.8 might be for a completely dry engine (maybe the confused the two quantities), but should be 7 or 7.5 for a "wet" oil change.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi Jason

Just for a hoot Here's a scan of the bill.Icropped out the header with the dealers name but it shows the amount of oil they used..Believe it or not I just signed the bill and never looked at the amount of oil added. I just pulled the bill yesterday to check the milage when it was changed to figure out the miles since last changed and seen 8.8 quarts

Cheers

Jim

picture.JPG

You sure won't hurt your 4.9 with the WOT treatment Marika, but remember before you 'jump on it' these high torque front wheel drive Cadillacs, (especially the earlier ones) tend to "torque steer". If you floor it 'coming out of the hole', or at a relatively low speed, and it drops into first, the steering wheel may surprise you (if you're not used to it..) by trying to pull out of your hands. Be ready for it.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I am planning to use WOT to clear the air block from my cooling system in NS 436 Seville 97? Any more suggestions. Johny helped me good on that before.

I am really surprised how difficult it is to remove that air block. We tried today to get it out by running it ideal and removing the small hoze coming out of the engine block. The coolant was coming with a purr, indicating air in it. Not a smooth flow of coolant. That triggers the air block idea by my mechanic friend. Johny told me to do WOT and also surge the engine to atleast 3000rpm number of times to get the air out of the cooling system

any more suggestinos before i do it tomorrow morning?

You sure won't hurt your 4.9 with the WOT treatment Marika, but remember before you 'jump on it' these high torque front wheel drive Cadillacs, (especially the earlier ones) tend to "torque steer". If you floor it 'coming out of the hole', or at a relatively low speed, and it drops into first, the steering wheel may surprise you (if you're not used to it..) by trying to pull out of your hands. Be ready for it.

Oh gosh, I've already had the experience of torque steer on this car. It torque steers to the left and torque brakes to the right.

I believe it's even mentioned in the Caddy service manual.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived