CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

did something REALLY stupid....

davedog

I was backing out of my driveway this morning, and I guess because I just got into such a routine of how I get out of there, I forgot there was an extra vehicle in the yard.....I backed right into it. :angry:

I've never been in an accident or anything, and for my first time to my my fault and something so dumb, I feel REALLY stupid.

His was a big truck, and was so high up that my car just hit his bumper and didn't leave a scratch.

My eldo, however didn't fare so well. The left side of the trunk lid has a major dent in it. And the crome that runs along the top of the bumber is screwed up too.

Should I get it fixed or just replace the whole lid?

Does anyone have a trunk lid for a 1992 eldorado or know where I can get one?

What about the strip of crome that runs along the top of the bumber?

I've been all over ebay and the web, can't find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And please be nice. Believe me, I feel stupid enough already.

I'll post a pic if nessary.

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Well..At least it wasn't the Police Chief's squad car you backed into...My wife did that to her dad (the chief) in thier own driveway... LOL...I guess..

Ouch man, that's gotta hurt..

Anyway, here's a source for used (pre owned... ;) ) parts:

http://www.cadauto.com/

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

yeah, i guess I can be thankful that it was only the trunk. still frustrating though. Just unsure of where to find one, and find one quickley. I don't want to even drive it like this, but it's my only car, so I guess I will have to.

it finally stopped raining, so I was able to get out and look it over good. I was able to get the chuck of the crome part of my bumper to snap back it and it looks better, but the crome is bubbled and it most likey will have to be replaced. I still keeping going back and forth on wether to get the trunk lid popped back out & repainted, or find a new one. Guess I'll have to wait untill the weekend is over and the body shops are open to get some esimates.

I'm just want my car fixed... :(

Don't feel alone Dave, There is probably no one on this board that hasn't done something stupid at one time or another. Someone on this board once mentioned Caddyparts.com or cadouto.com or something like that. Shipping might be a bit expensive though. Have you checked the local bone yards? Also Adrian is parting out a '94 Seville. Perhaps they share the same deck lid. Worth checking out.

It might just be easier and cheaper to find another deck lid(trunk) call some local wrecking yards if you are really really lucky you may find the same color if not just get the one you find repainted and it's not that hard you could r/r the deck lid yourself Just a thought.

Jim

yeah, I noticed the guy parting out the seville, I think it's the same color as mine too. But I doubt that they are interchangeable. Don't the sevilles have a light going across the truck?

I've sent in a request to that caddy parts page, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I've thought if I could just find a trunk and get it painted, I wouldn't even have to give up my caddy for a few days... replacing the trunk can't be too hard.

Thanks for the suggestions/comments thus far....keep em coming! :)

What ever happened to junk yards? Man, if that were my car I'd be on the line to the nearest salvage yard. They can put that on the wire and have one in the same day! Possibly in the same color! At any rate, if you have any trouble finding a lid, I have a few links that I can send. Salvage yards specializing in Caddy parts.

Now for the "punishment" every time you have to drive around with that dent back there, let it be a reminder to LOOK in the direction that you are TRAVELING! In other words, I have done the same stupid stuff in my time, being very cautious and careful by looking both ways, and checking both mirrors before moving. It just so happens that I sometimes fail to look in front of me or behind me. Too many times lately unfortunately. That's the direction that REALLY counts....the direction you are moving.

That Is a beautiful car, I'd be sick too.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

What ever happened to junk yards? Man, if that were my car I'd be on the line to the nearest salvage yard. They can put that on the wire and have one in the same day! Possibly in the same color! At any rate, if you have any trouble finding a lid, I have a few links that I can send. Salvage yards specializing in Caddy parts.

Now for the "punishment" every time you have to drive around with that dent back there, let it be a reminder to LOOK in the direction that you are TRAVELING! In other words, I have done the same stupid stuff in my time, being very cautious and careful by looking both ways, and checking both mirrors before moving. It just so happens that I sometimes fail to look in front of me or behind me. Too many times lately unfortunately. That's the direction that REALLY counts....the direction you are moving.

That Is a beautiful car, I'd be sick too.

good advice! thanks!

I would be ALL OVER the junk yards, but no one is open on sundays. <_>

Sorry bro..... :D

LOL!

naw, I'm messin' i really like your eldo though.

back when i couldn't drive and my mom would drive the caddy, some thugs vadalized it...had a huge dent in the middle of the hood and thrunk lid...Supposedly they were walking on top of the car..anyway insurance took care of the repares...ended up getting a new hod and trunk lid :)

something about how you can't pop out big dents on these things..im not sure, wasnt old enough to really pay any attention..but a junkyard should be your fist stop..

<_< actually, you can call up yr insureance company and make up some story about how someone hit you and ran... just pay the deductable which will be a whole lot cheaper than paying for everythin

BUT YOU DIDNT HERE IT FROM ME :ph34r:

LOL :D

yeah, I have full coverage, but a fairly high deductable. Should be cheaper just to pay for it myself...plus won't make my insurance go up. I'll save that for if I ever have a "real" accedent! Lol!

A friend said they thought it'd be around $500.00......

Allright, here it is....fix or replace? What do you think is the best cheapest idea?

p2150064.jpg

Fix it. Should be easy to do for a competent auto body shop.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Get an estimate from a body shop to fix it (assuming they can fix it) and one to repaint a used one assuming you get one of a different color and do the R & R yourself. That should give you a good idea of which direction to go.

with your "truck" or your "trunk" :huh:

i recently backed up into a mazda...left a chip on the ol bumper and didnt do squat to the mazda...i htink it was her plate frame that i hit?

anyway i dont think it would be a good idea to fix the trunk lid, get it replaced...

that looks more than a $500 job...i'm thinking along the lines of $600-700 min...

thats just what i think...check it out and post back... when you do ;)

With my truck! I backed into one of those protecting concrete poles. The ones that keep you from hitting a sign pole etc.! I didn't see it when I was backing up! And crunch! When I went in and told them what I did (to be honest), they said not to worry, people do it all the time! My bumper had to be replaced. :(

Davedog,

If you are looking for parts, try car-part.com type in your year and parts you are lookin for and it will search literally thousands of junk yards across the U.S. for you. You can also limit the search to yards in your state or region. That's where I gpt the front and rear bumper covers for mine.

Hope this helps,

millwright71

Archived