CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Seat support collapse?

Scotty

Has anyone had their seat support collapse and then fix it. I would think there would be a repair kit for this. I did not take the seat out to inspect it yet, but it feels like something broke underneath. It feels like I am sitting in a hole..

Hey Scotty,

Some hole's are good to be in......some not. The one you are talking about will cost you with no personal pleasurable gain. The one I am thinking about is about $150 an hour with the pleasurable gain. LOL

Good luck

Rickster

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

If new seats are anything like the old seats--I have no clue--they have a combination of springs and/or spring strips. If they beak, you remove the cover/padding, and weld the broken peice. The problem with welding spring steel is that it takes the temper out, and--however long afterward--it stands a good chance of breaking next to the welded spot. I know you love tearing into them, so you don't mind yanking the seat and taking a look--huh?

If new seats are anything like the old seats--I have no clue--they have a combination of springs and/or spring strips. If they beak, you remove the cover/padding, and weld the broken peice. The problem with welding spring steel is that it takes the temper out, and--however long afterward--it stands a good chance of breaking next to the welded spot. I know you love tearing into them, so you don't mind yanking the seat and taking a look--huh?

Yes that is the next move, it seems to have gotten worse today. Maybe I can fix it without too much trouble by getting the part at a junk yard.

SCOTTY , A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO ANOTHER PERSON HAD THE SAME PROBLEM YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING, AS I RECALL THEIR WAS ALSO A STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE TO CURE THE HOLE PROBLEM. NOW FINDING THE POST COULD BE A PROBLEM , BUT THE SOLUTION LIES WITHIN THE POST. GOOD LUCK FRANEY

SCOTTY , A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO ANOTHER PERSON HAD THE SAME PROBLEM YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING, AS I RECALL THEIR WAS ALSO A STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE TO CURE THE HOLE PROBLEM. NOW FINDING THE POST COULD BE A PROBLEM , BUT THE SOLUTION LIES WITHIN THE POST. GOOD LUCK FRANEY

Hey Thanks Franey! Mike

SCOTTY , A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO ANOTHER PERSON HAD THE SAME PROBLEM YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING, AS I RECALL THEIR WAS ALSO A STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE TO CURE THE HOLE PROBLEM. NOW FINDING THE POST COULD BE A PROBLEM , BUT THE SOLUTION LIES WITHIN THE POST. GOOD LUCK  FRANEY

Hey Thanks Franey! Mike

Hey Scotty,

I think Franey was referring to my post back in July. Here it is...

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1476&hl=

I am still very happy with my repair, it has held up very well. Not sure how similar your 96 seat would be. Hope this helps! ;)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

SCOTTY , A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO ANOTHER PERSON HAD THE SAME PROBLEM YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING, AS I RECALL THEIR WAS ALSO A STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE TO CURE THE HOLE PROBLEM. NOW FINDING THE POST COULD BE A PROBLEM , BUT THE SOLUTION LIES WITHIN THE POST. GOOD LUCK  FRANEY

Hey Thanks Franey! Mike

Hey Scotty,

I think Franey was referring to my post back in July. Here it is...

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1476&hl=

I am still very happy with my repair, it has held up very well. Not sure how similar your 96 seat would be. Hope this helps! ;)

Thanks for the link sprucegoose that will be a help! Mike

Archived