CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ignition Lock Cylinder

Ranger

While I was diagnosing my inop HVAC blower and waiting for a new one, I was driving my wifes car and noticed that when it was cold out the key was very "stiff" feeling when inserting it into the ignition. It obviously needs a little lube. Any reason not to give it a shot of WD40? If so what's best to use?

Not oil-based lube - it attracts dirt like a magnet. A very small amount of graphite in the lock should be OK. Keep it away from the back of the key and the face of the keylock since some anti-theft code resistor contacts are located there.

Not oil-based lube - it attracts dirt like a magnet. A very small amount of graphite in the lock should be OK. Keep it away from the back of the key and the face of the keylock since some anti-theft code resistor contacts are located there.

How do you keep it away from the face of the lock? That's the only way to get it in there.

Ranger,

Are you sure it is not stiff when it warms up? the problem may be rather mechanical than temperature related. Ask your wife.

Ask my wife :lol: she wouldn't know if a wheel fell off. I just went out in the garage and tried it. Probably 40 degrees in the garage and it felt normal. It was rather stiff when it was 10 degrees out side and sat at work for 8 hrs.

QUOTE (adallak @ Dec 30 2004, 09:58 PM)

Ranger,

Are you sure it is not stiff when it warms up? the problem may be rather mechanical than temperature related. Ask your wife. 

Ask my wife  she wouldn't know if a wheel fell off. I just went out in the garage and tried it. Probably 40 degrees in the garage and it felt normal. It was rather stiff when it was 10 degrees out side and sat at work for 8 hrs.

:lol: The problem is that there are mechanical links down the steering column up to the ignition switch and the increased resistance (mechanical) may be caused by some other parts you cannot reach for with WD-40.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Ranger,

Adallak is correct about checking for mechanical binding.

If you want to try the graphite anyway, just make sure to use a small amount. Most dispenser tubes have a nozzle end that will let you insert the tip past the anti-theft contacts in the key slot.

I checked my Helms manual and don't see any info on ignition switch service pointers.

While I was diagnosing my inop HVAC blower and waiting for a new one, I was driving my wifes car and noticed that when it was cold out the key was very "stiff" feeling when inserting it into the ignition. It obviously needs a little lube. Any reason not to give it a shot of WD40? If so what's best to use?

I use Lock-Ease. Seems to be graphite suspended in kerosene. Put some on the key, insert into lock, turn. Repeat. Works on doors also.

FWIW

YMMV

DFB

Ranger,

Ask my wife :lol: she wouldn't know if a wheel fell off. I just went out in the garage and tried it. Probably 40 degrees in the garage and it felt normal. It was rather stiff when it was 10 degrees out side and sat at work for 8 hrs.

I have sucessfully used Medeco Key Lube on all my locks. Contains no oil or graphite, oil of which thickens and gums up and graphite which becomes packed and hardened and could cause a lock to jam. Just a tiny burst is all you need, don't overdo it.

You can buy Medeco Key Lube at any locksmith that sells Medeco locks. They might have to order it for you.

If Medeco Key Lube is recommened for use on Medeco locks, it's safe for all locks.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived