CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

88 Deville Low Coolant Engine Damage

Sbutton

88 Deville with 90K miles went in to the dealer for repairs, as the temp light went on. They replaced the water pump, thermostat, and changed the oil.

The dealer put in Wynn's cooling system flush, and left this in the coolant. Is it common practice to leave flush chemicals in the system? It seems they did not flush the radiator, but simply dumped in the flush chemicals. ????

500 miles and 20 days later, the temp light went on again. There was no coolant in the recovery tank, and only one quart in the radiator. After refilling the coolant and running the engine, we can see light colored foam on the dipstick. (!)

Could the car go 500 miles with only one quart of coolant in the radiator plus what remained in the block, or is it more likely that around 7 gals of coolant went into the engine in 500 miles?

I am quite sure your cooling system does not hold 7 gal. of coolant. 2 or 3 at the most. Foam on the dipstick indicates that is went into the crankcase (head or intake gasket leaking).

Right. I now understand that the coolant must have gone into the crankcase.

Is it correct to add Wynn's Cooling System Flush (Part no. 60103) and leave it in the system without flushing out the product?

Sounds like you need a new intake manifold gasket. No amount of flushing is going to solve this problem.

IPB Image

I understand I need a new intake manifold gasket, head gasket, or worse.

The radiator flush compenent mentioned earlier was left in the system for 500 miles. Was that the correct procedure, or is it the correct procedure to flush out the radiator flush before putting the car back into service? We are trying to understand if an error was made during an earlier repair of the vehicle.

Thanks for the input, I'll try to find out for sure. Have not been able to locate the product, as it is a pro product, not a consumer product (X-Tend Radiator Flush).

We heard back from the dealer, they found a blown head gasket. Don't know yet if there is other damage.

Scott.

Thanks for the input, I'll try to find out for sure. Have not been able to locate the product, as it is a pro product, not a consumer product (X-Tend Radiator Flush).

We heard back from the dealer, they found a blown head gasket<<<< I mean Intake Manifold Gasket>>>>>>. Don't know yet if there is other damage.

Scott.

Correction

Archived