CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ATS-V

airmike

Today I took my wife to KC for a dr. visit. She was scheduled for 2 hours so I went looking for an ATS-V. I found a few! When I showed up the man that came to talk to me was new to Caddy's and couldn't give me much info, but he did encourage me to drive it, so I did :glare: . After a short drive, we returned and I wanted to ask some questions. Since he didn't know much, he got Ryan involved. Wow, that was the thing to do!! Ryan had been to circuit of americas for the v training and flogging. So he took us both out for a drive and showed/explained what that car can really do, without actually getting real ambitious. Also showed his video clips from the track days. He used to be an autocross racer, before his current job took his saturdays away, so he learned well.

I loved that car. It was very much more comfortable to drive than the '11 cts-v I brought home one weekend. I asked Ryan about the seats in the new cts-v and he said they are not as comfortable either. (I am only talking cruising, not turning) I sat in the cts-v first thing, but didn't really investigate it much, the ats-v has my attention. The straight line performance is enough better that I am positive it will outrun my xlr-v. Even lugging it in lower rpm ranges, it pulled well. Ryan explained the throttle body is under the intercooler and the piping for the turbo's, making turbo lag non-existent. It won't keep up with the new cts-v, but it's not far behind, because of the weight. For me, I am going to have to wait for a used one, unlike Bruce, I will not turn in my xlr for one. I imagine the choice would have been a little harder for him if I had talked him into a v, but it worked out great the way he did go. Oh Bruce they have a black/black, manual one with gold calipers in KC. It keeps calling my name, but I'm not listening. The rev matching is a winner too.

I think you may have found your new home Cadillac. Keep us posted on progress.

Both the XLR-V and the ATS-V are tuned for a very flat torque curve. This is important for normal driveability because, well, what do you think will happen with the average driver who floors a car, then has the torque suddenly double while the wheel is turned? Search for "supercar crashes" on YouTube for an endless selection. You can override this with your own tuning and improve performance of both cars.

The XLR-V engine is rated at 443 hp, 414 lb-ft while the ATS-V engine is rated at 464 hp and 445 lb-ft. I don't have figures for weight, or the RPMs for the ATS.

GM has a tradition of tuning engines for flat torque curves for driveability since forever. The blue-flame six, standard on Chevrolets from 1937 through 1954 and available through 1962, was rated for peak torque from 1200 RPM through 2700 RPM (higher top RPM in post-war and later models), and similar tuning is seen in standard V8's (two-barrel, base engines). This may be very important for the casual driver but for the spirited driver of 400+ horsepower cars, it's essential for stability and control, even with Stabilitrak. Peaky torque curves in high-performance cars are best for the experienced and experts.

The ride and seats are important, and I'm really gratified that you like the driver position and comfort in the ATS-V. Note that the Recaro racing seats are an option in the CTS-V and you can get the CTS-V with GM bucket seats; you might sit in one for the perspective.

Note that in GT3 racing, GM went to the ATS-V over the new CTS-V and did quite well the first year and is looking very good the second year of that car in the Pirelli World Challenge Cup circuit.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

As much as I love that ats, I will not buy a new car. I never have and don't intend to start now. I am sure the ats of my future is probably a year away. I did want to check it out a bit first though and am so glad I did. If not for running into Ryan, I would never have learned things that I no doubt will forget by the time I actually decide to buy one. I am going to investigate the track days for the v cars and see if I can get that done, before I buy one also. I was reading on a different forum several cts-v buyers going for the track day. In fact it was filled up for the december running. I figure it can only make me a better driver as well as teach me to use the car more to its potential, not that I intend to use it on any track.

I don't think the ats-v comes with anything but the recaro seats, but evidently they are different between it and the cts-v. I do know the bolsters are adjustable on the back and the bottoms. I noticed one day on an xts the seats lower, center panel could be slid forward, without moving the seat which seemed like a nice adjustment. I don't think the ats-v did, but perhaps the non v's, with gm seats do. I never drove the xts in any case and am not sure how much that would be appreciated, just seemed like it might be nice on a long drive. When I drove the ats-v, I had it in tour mode and Ryan put it in 2 different sport/track settings. If I had drove it in one of those settings, I might not have realized how nice a ride it can have.

Lucky for me, I live in a small town, roughly 2 hours away from Tulsa, Wichita or KC, so I won't be driving by one every day, hearing it calling my name <_<

Nice report Mike and I am looking forward to hearing more impressions at chat Thurs.

The ATSV has snow, touring, sport, and track modes. Within track mode, there are 5 further modes for wet, dry, sport1, sport2, and race. The modes effect suspension, active exhaust, traction control, stabilitrak, and performance traction management (launch control).

I believe the modes also effect throttle mapping and exhaust amplification.

The ATSV comes with heated sport seats, or the Recaros as an option for $2,300 or so. The recaros have extra adjustments and more side bolstering. I did not get the Recaros in mine.

The ATSV is a different car than my STSV -- two sizes smaller, lighter, tuned to be more responsive. The STSV wins on rear seat room, trunk space, executive salon. The ATSV is a gentleman racer all the way. The published engine output curves are very similar, but the LF4 appears to be somewhat detuned.

I agree in principle it is better to buy a pre-depreciated model a year or two in, but I am glad Crest and I were able to do the complicated trade, and in my situation it made sense for me.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived