CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Have no brakes on a 04 deville, service stability light and abs are on. Codes are all history c1225, c1287, c1288. Fluid is good and pads are decent, any suggestions? It seem power booster isn't working can press very hard on pedal an car will stop, but dangerous situation. Thx for any help

C1225 Left Front Excessive Wheel Speed Variation

C1287 Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction
C1288 Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction

The C1225 explains the ABS light, the C1287/1288 explain the Service Stability light. Neither problem relates to total loss of braking function.

By "Have no brakes" do you mean

• Very stiff pedal; possible causes include bad power assist or vacuum loss to power assist.
  • Pedal goes to floor; with good fluid; possible causes include bad master cylinder or lots of air in the system.
  • Pedal is normal but car does not stop; possible causes include sticking calipers or crimped or clogged brake lines or flexible lines.

Other possible causes are rusted-through brake lines (rust belt under-the-car problem) or a mechanical problem with the brake pedal.

Please explain in more detail what you are experiencing that leads to the "Have no brakes" complaint. What does the pedal feel like? Did the problem creep up on you, or did it happen all at once? Do the stoplights come on? Etc.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Sounds like no assist,

Check for vacuum at booster (behind brake master cylinder) with engine running.

Remove hose/valve from booster and check for vacuum at valve side. If it is low or no vacuum, remove check valve from hose and check for vacuum at hose end. If normal vacuum at hose replace check valve, if vacuum is still low at hose check for disconnected/damaged vacuum lines at engine.

Was there any repairs or other work done before the "no brake" condition?

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Thanks for the response, issue is the pedal is normal but when applying there is little response from brakes, it will stop but must apply maximum force to the petal. Very stiff petal. Situation just happened with no warning of an issue. Checked vacuum line but found no holes will pull and see if there is vacuum. Haynes manual suggest possible caliper stuck? I'll pull the wheels today and check out pads seem to be good. No prior work has been done to the brake system other than pads, deville only has 78k miles.

Likely there is a booster issue. You are on the right track. Stuck caliper would probably not cause this much of a issue unless all 4 are that stuck

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thx, I ran the car for a while then shut it down and pulled the check valve, did not hear any air going into the booster, thats the only check I could think of. Sound like I'll be replacing the booster. Car has been through some extreme weather conditions from 100 degrees in the desert to 15 below this dec in the mountains diaphram may not of liked that.

The problem does sound very much like a dead vacuum booster. It's possible that the diaphragm was cracked and ready to leak or even tear, and some condensation ore expansion/contraction in the booster diaphragm was the last straw.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My appreciation to all at caddy info. Not being a professional mechanic it is a great benefit to have the assistance of your knowledge and advice. Thx again.

Rick

Archived