CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

So my 97 Deville has a speaker in the center of the dash. I see quite a few that have the grille but no speaker in the dash.

What does that mean to my type of system? Mine is a D'elegance. Not sure what the difference is. Maybe someone could enlighten me as to what some differences are.

Only ones I know of is the umbrella holder in the driver seat

and the rear vanity mirrors,

Thanks all.

I noticed the speaker because I have a B2419 and my system is twilight is acting up. I was going to replace the sensor but the speaker makes it more difficult to get out

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

These are the sound system optionss available for 1997:

U1L Radio AM Stereo/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Music Search Cassette, CD, Clock, ETR
U1R Radio AM Stereo/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Music Search Cassette, CD, ETR
U1S Player Multiple Compact DISC
U1Z Player Multiple Compact Disc, Passenger Compartment
U2K Digital Audio System S-Band
U3Q Radio AM/FM, Stero, Seek/Scan, CD, DVD, NAV, Clock, DSP W/Voice REC MICRO
U3R Radio AM/FM, Stero, WX, Seek/Scan, CD, DVD, NAV, Clock, DSP, W/Voice REC MICRO
U45 Radio AM, Stero/FMM, Stero, WX, RDS, CD, CDROM Navigation, Clock
U57 Speaker System Bose, 8, Dual F/D Pillar, Dual FRT DR MTD Dual RR DR MTD, Subwoof PDG Shelf, IP CRT, AMPLIF
U75 Antenna Power, Radio
UE7 Communication System Television
UE9 Communication System Vehicle Information
UM5 Radio AM Stero/FM Stero, DSP, WX, RDS, Seek/Scan AUTO REV Music Search CASS, CD, Clock, ETR
UM9 Radio AM Stero/FM Stero, DSP, WX, HPS, RDS, Seek/Scan AUTO REV Music Search CASS, MCD, Clock, ETR
UV7 Antenna Windshield, Rear Window, Radio
UW6 Speaker System 6, Custom
UX8 Speaker System 8, Dual F/D MTD, Dual Rear Doors, Dual Mirror Patch CTR I/P, Package Shelf, Amplifier

Look on your options sheet on the inside of the spare tire cover and see what your car has. I took a cell phone photo of mine and used it to make a list on my computer.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I got the RPO for my car from the option list under the spare tire cover on both the Eldordo and the CTS-V. I copied the full RPO list out of the 1997 FSM. Recently I copied the 2010 RPO list out of the FSM (I was answering a question for someone with a 2010) and put it into Excel, too.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Here is the RPO list. The only one I could find was the u75 for the power antenna. My eyes arent the greatest so maybe I missed it lol

post-12985-0-01036900-1448675926_thumb.j

GM FAN FOREVER

Great photo. I got all the codes from it, and the paint number. I found your radio:

UW7 Radio, AM Stereo/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Cassette, Clock, Electronic Display

I put everything in Excel and used a lookup table to get the descriptions from my list. I found that I had not put in a lot of little things, which I fixed. See PM for how to get it.

Here is the table from the front of the Excel file:

RPO Meaning
AJ7 Restraint System Seat, Inflatable, Driver & Passenger, Front & Side
AL2 Control Seat, Power Lumbar
AM5 Seat Front Split, 3 Pass, 6-Way Adjust, 2-Way Lumbar
A45 Memory Seat Adjust., Mirror, Power Driver and Enhanced Memory Personalization
BY1 #N/A
B19 Ornamentation, Interior, Custom
B57 Ornamentation, Exterior Deluxe
CEI #N/A
CJ2 HVAC System Air Conditioning, Auto TEMP CONT, AUX Temp CONT
DAI #N/A
DC5 Mirror Inside Rear Vanity Head Lining, Illuminated
DD8 Mirror, Inside Rearview, Light Sensitive
DEH Plant Code Detroit/Hamtramck, MI, BOC
D98 Stripe Accent
E2F #N/A
E2M #N/A
E2P #N/A
FE1 Suspension System Soft Ride
FV3 Ratio Transaxle Final Drive 3.11
ID3 Trim, Interior Design (D3)
JL9 Brake System Power, Front & Rear Disc, Antilock, Front & Rear Wheel
KA1 Heater Seat
KG9 Generator 140 amp
LD8 Engine Gas, 8 Cylinder, 4.6L, MFI, V8, DOHC
MH1 Transmission, Automatic 4-Speed, 4T80E, Electronic Converter Clutch
MX0 #N/A
NB6 Emission System, California, Tier 1
NP5 Steering Wheel Leather Wrapped
NV8 Steering, Power, Magnetic Speed, Variable Assist
N98 Wheel Chrome
QPY Tire All P225/60R16-97S WS2 R/PE ST TL ALS
UG6 #N/A
UW7 Radio, AM Stereo/FM Stereo, Seek/Scan, Auto Reverse Cassette, Clock, Electronic Display
U02 Cluster Instrument, Kilometer and Miles, Digital Speedometer Display
U89 #N/A
U75 Antenna Power, Radio
VG6 #N/A
VG8 #N/A
V73 #N/A
WJ7 #N/A
YF5 #N/A
YN2 #N/A
YP7 Merchandised Package, Cadillac DeVille d'Elegance
151 Interior Trim Shale/Neutral (I) (97)
153 Trim Combination Leather, Shale (3) (96)
57U Primary Color Exterior, Shale Beige (96)
6LR #N/A
8LR #N/A
79A Stripe Color Accent, Dark Claret (91 )
8AP #N/A
9AP #N/A

The "#N/A" means that either I did not have that RPO in my list, or there is a typo in the RPO either from what I got off your photo or in my list.

Lol. I still wonder what the center speaker does.

Also i dont see the RPO for the rain sense wipers.

I swapped out the photobeam sensor also. It was cake. Not like the other sensor. I found it was covered in something black (junk) It plugs in just like a 194 bulb. No removal of the speaker was necessary

GM FAN FOREVER

The rain sensor is probably one of the codes that I don't have. It may be part of the "package" which is YP7, d'Elegance. That is, it may be standard for d'Elegance, ETC, and STS, and not available in other trims. But I have found that they do list an RPO for things in these trim packages when there is hardware/wiring involved, as it is with the rain sensor.

My 1997 FSM doesn't include the UW7 radio, unfortunately. It has U1L/UW6 (Deville base or a version for Eldorado/Seville base), UQ6 (Deville with active audio - Bose?), UQ4 (Delco-Bose Speakers), and that's it. UQ6 has a "CENTER I/P SPEAKER" but the others do not, so this explains the speaker grille in the dashboard.

I will have to find out its function when I start to drive it. My SLS has bose but I believe the deville was the only one that had the dash speaker as an option.

I dont even know how much is involved with the rainsense other than the harness that runs with the mirror harness to the sensor on the window

GM FAN FOREVER

Ok so here is part of my confusion on the center speaker deal.

I pulled up diagrams and it seems the center speaker (ie I/P speaker) is only with bose option, per diagram/

the center (I/P speaker ) is not included in the non bose setup.

The Stereo that it has does not have DSP or the Bose emblem on the display.

I need to look further into this.

My 97 SLS has Bose and I love it. I can immediately tell that it has it whenever I drive it. It has The woofer in the rear deck.

I do not see anything out of ordinary on this Deville when I had the trunk panel out.

So I cant imagine that someone would have just stuck a speaker in the dash but I suppose it is possible. Problem is Cadillac had too many options, overly complicated for someone looking to see what they have.

To make it weirder I have a extra unit kicking around that Is not labeled with Bose but is for amp setup with DSP. It is from a 1996 D'elegance. I have been holding onto it just in case I could use it. I would love it if I could use it in this Deville. See pic

I would like to know more about the rpo UW7. I may have to try the dealer.

post-12985-0-84610500-1448854999_thumb.jpost-12985-0-84717400-1448855012_thumb.j

Update. I inspected in the trunk and believe I found the AMP. There is a 30a amp fuse in the box and top center of the black panel has a large amp.

I pulled the Radio out and swapped in the one pictured above. And voila. Everything works great. The sound is even different. The DSP works great.

The center speaker works great. I am excited. Not sure if this means it has Bose but I don't know enough about it.

I would like to know why it would have a base type radio I it if it had the high line system in it though.

I hope I can get the trim back on without breaking it. I was extra careful in removing it but they tend to be kind of brittle after 10 or so years

GM FAN FOREVER

The information that I have is that the I/P speaker is for the deluxe stereo *without* Bose, which is consistent with what you find in your car. The big center speaker is, in stereo systems, a center woofer, and Bose uses acoustic wave door speakers as midrange/woofer speakers.

The Bose speakers have the amps combined with the speakers and there is no separate amp, either in the dash or in the trunk. The audio signal is fed to each speaker with a shielded twisted pair. Power to the speaker amps is through two DELCO BOSE® RELAYs in the trunk compartment relay center #3. Power is through the 30 Amp AMP FUSE in the trunk compartment fuse block from RAP.

The separate amplifier is listed as part of the Active Audio System UQ6, which has eleven speakers, including the I/P speaker, two rear deck subwoofers, and a tweeter and a midrange speaker in each of four doors.

Archived