CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2016 Cadillac CTS-V FIRST DRIVE REVIEW @ Road America

MotoMan heads to Road America to drive the 640 HP 2016 Cadillac CTS V and leaves old friend of the show & Chief Engineer of Cadillac to talk tech bits of the new supercharged LT4 powered Cadillac. Along the way, MotoMan ventures out with the Cadillac to the tiny vacation resort town of Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin to learn Road America wasn’t always a closed race track . . .

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

Chief Engineer of Cadillac, Dave Leone, sits down with MotoMan to answer your questions on both the new 2016 Cadillac CTS-V as well as the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V. In this very frank discussion, Dave shares some tech behind the scenes, why Cadillac has made some of the business decisions it has as well as some specific answers on future product . . .

MotoMan. Ordinary Car Guy. Extraordinary Adventures

TWICE A WEEK, MotoMan you on car guy adventures like going behind the scenes and hands on at factories, design studios and race tracks to unique driving experiences – everything from the latest cars to military prototype vehicles.

EACH MONTH, MotoMan has an informal discussion with the key people shaping the car industry in front of a live studio & Internet streamed audience. Connect with us via Facebook & Twitter for a full schedule:

Subscribe now to experience our adventures in the car world.
http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...

Bruce

From an engineering point of view I agree with the trade discussion Dave Leone makes. However, if you HAVE to keep explaining why you aren't doing what your competitors are doing, who are making the same trades, something is wrong.

I would like to see some actual captures on how the new transmission shift speed is for the street. I have not heard any of the magazines claim it was as fast as a dual clutch system. What I mean is, my 6 speed shifts in 0.4 sec as reported in hptuners. If the new 8 speed shifts in 0.15 sec that is a nice improvement. I am not certain that is what he is saying, or if after you include this that and the other the new 8 speed shifts in about the same time as the 6 speed.

Bruce

While I agree with what you are saying above. It may be the same situation as the car and driver article

"C&D in an August 15 comparo found the Cadillac ATS-V to be the "most fun", least expensive (by $10K to $18K), quickest (quartermile) and fastest (top speed).

So they picked the M3. based on fuel economy (subjective fuel economy with them driving, not EPA) and the sound of the engine(s).

http://www.caranddri...comparison-test

My opinion of their opinion(s) is hard to describe, but I would give this review an 18 for content and a 1 for conclusions."

If the reputation is not there and the Germans have something new so to speak, maybe they have to continue to try to convince the world. I'm sure someone will have hard numbers done appart from Caddy in the future, to support their claim or deny it. Is that 8 sp used in the cts-v in production elsewhere already?

The 8L90 transmission. In the Corvette Z06, some say it is contributing to overheating at the track. Overall thetruthaboutcars guys said it is a good design

In fact, in the 2015 Corvette Stingray, it enables a class-leading 29-mpg EPA highway estimate – a 3.5-percent increase in fuel economy over the previous six-speed automatic – and a quicker 0-60 time of 3.7 seconds, all while delivering wide-open-throttle upshifts quicker than those of the dual-clutch transmission offered in the Porsche 911.

Bruce

Archived