CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oil leak

STYES

Hey guys. I just noticed a puddle of oil under my car. It is bitter cold here, but the few monents I could stand it, I think it might be coming from a line between the oil cooler and engine? It is leaking from the very front of the engine, in fact at a point not directly under, but ahead of it. I will be able to do a full diagnosis in the morning, but I was hoping for some thoughts now. Some of you have proven to know more about the NS than do I, so if you can please share some thoughts so I know what to look for. I can tell you that the leak stops when the engine is off, but 10 minutes of idling produced about 4 ounces of oil which appears to be coming from a point between the radiator and front of the engine. I first noticed this when I was a quart low about 500 miles before I should have been, given the usual oil I lose between changes.

Thanks for the reply Ranger. My first thought was of the obvious one, pan, filter, and oil cap. It is coming from one of the lines I believe. Don't get to spend much time with my car at work, and I asked because I want to expedite that process. I hope I can remember to share what I find with this forum. Thanks again.

I agree it does sound like and oil cooler line, but, I would not drive it that way too long. It is a leak that can become catastrophic real quick. If the line breaks your oil pump will pump until it is dry.

I don't think the '97 has an oil cooler. I didn't think the '96 did either. I thought that ended in the mid 1990s due to...leaks. The next time you get it up on ramps, verify that it does or doesn't have a cooler with lines. I'd be interested to know if it does.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The leak stopped this morning, but I'm sure it will return. Haven't done anything yet, but yes, both 96 and 97's have the oil cooler, and the leak was for sure coming from the line. Thanks to all who replied to a guy who just wanted to sleep well before he could look at it himself.

Archived