CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How Fast is Your FASTEST?

CadiKing

A couple of you mention fond memories of i80 from salt lake city west along the salt flats. ..... ok, just right click on my avatar and 'open image' ... then read the story and laugh. I'm not the fastest by any means but it was a fun trip ...

I was driving cross country in my 95 etc a couple of yrs ago, Fairfax Va to the bay area, 60 hrs elapsed, 42 driving. I70 to denver, turn right, hit 80 in Wy, turn left. Stopped for naps, spent 1 night in a motel. After passing the great salt lake, i had enough gas left to make it to nevada. Didn't realize that there would be nearly 0 gas stations over that portion. A while after the lake I needed a few z's, so i got off i80 on a random exit, drove a mile or 2 then was confronted with a deslolate 2 lane below me that went to the horizon (neither Road Runner nor Wile E. Coyote were in sight, but this was their stomping grounds!). Who could resist a top speed check???? WHO (on this board?). Well, I nailed it and kept checking the speed and triple digits came up in seconds (even rather loaded - uhhh the car, not me). Anyway at 125 I could not keep glancing at the speedometer cause the road was getting real narrow and I could not take my eye off of it ( not literally narrow, it was the speed). So, if I could not see how fast I was going, no need to keep at it. So, i coasted to a stop and had a lovely peaceful rest.

Sooo, back to I80 and no longer had enough gas, that short speed run made a big fuel difference. I knew I was going to run out, so I drove slower while watching the inst mileage constantly to get the highest mpg and when an 18 wheeler went past I noticed that it rose significantly. So, i set myself behind a truck that had just unloaded pigs, and rode that thing till it started to sputter (for lack of gas, not the smell!). I steered left and right to move any remaining gas to the fuel pump intake and that got me a few more miles, but it finally gave out and I made it to within 2 miles of the Bonneville salt flats exit. Got out and walked (a kind soul actually stopped for me btw), bought a plastic container (at a place that Craig Breedlove and others had been) and walked the 2 miles back carrying 2.5 gals of gas. D'amn that stuff gets heavy.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the smile.  But no, that was from a past-lifetime when I was a daytrader.  As long-time members of this board who recall me as "Double H" will reprise, I got wiped out and those days are long-gone.

Huh! I didn't know you were Double H! I remember that guy (you)! :lol:

Hey Jason~

Yup, me. Put up a post when I went 'official' with the name-change, about 2 years ago.

Happy and healthy New Year to you and your family. An exciting year for you.

best,

~Doc

I did 80 in my '93 Suburban/2500, which was probably scarier...

I did 90 (briefly)in my 92 Bronco while in a cluster of cars passing a slower group of cars once on I-5. The Bronco was quite stable but the 5.8 was breathing hard! Normally I don't drive that fast in that vehicle. Posted speed limit was 70 mph.

Jim

I had the opportunity in August to drive a Busch car at Texas Motor Speedway for ten laps. On the last two laps I got it up to 165 mph. There were 10 cars on the track at the time and we were allowed to pass. That was a great experience. I have a vhs tape of the experience. I hope to do it again this spring. I will have more confidence and will probably run it hard from the begining.

Hi

165mph on my tuned Triumph Speed Triple.

155mph on my 1995 STS (no limiter) done >145mph nearly once a week.

But i live in germany... there is no speed-limit on the highway !

regards Eckhard :-)

p.s. 1hour 13mins for 130miles.

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

Hi

165mph on my tuned Triumph Speed Triple.

155mph on my 1995 STS (no limiter) done >145mph nearly once a week.

But i live in germany... there is no speed-limit on the highway !

regards Eckhard :-)

p.s. 1hour 13mins for 130miles.

I am impressed with your STS on the German roads. Is your STS considered different or special in your country? How does it fare up against some of the german supercars on your roads? What kind and side tires do you use? Does the export version not have a limiter or did you disable it? Thanks, Mike

Hi Scotty

the car is realy unusual for germany.

I have seen about 5 other STS/SLS in the past two years.

I think the limiter was eleminated, because the ECM has a broken seal.

Another reason that makes me think so is the following:

Today i drove the car on the highway (we call it Autobahn) and the speedometer needle

went all the way to the mechanical end (short pin) and the prm was still rising.

I am driving V-rated tires (270km/h 169mp/h), because the german law tells me to do so!

But what do you mead with supercars.... ?

The only think i can do, if i see a Mercedes SLK on the road, is lean back and think...

The fuel isn't worth it....

A friend of mine owns a Audi S6+ with a 4.6L engine and 326hp..... i can't beat him during acceleration.

If we start at about 100mp/h it is nearly equal.

The best drag i had, was against a Porsche 911 cabrio (i think 1995 or 1996).....

about a quarter mile..... no winner.

But when i drive my Cady, i prefer to cruise in low rpm.... it's a lot more fun.

If i want to race, i take my motorbike (beam me up Scotty)!

About 6 weeks ago i installed drilled/slotted rotors and Raybestos Brutestop brakepads

(front and rear).... a realy amazing difference.

More brake control, shorter way to stop and the brake performance will increase when the brakerotor temperature rises.

Realy good thing.

regards Eckhard :lol:

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

There are lots of places in the US without speed limits, before and after the national 55 mph speed limit. The reason lots of Americans don't realise that there are areas with no speed limits is because there is no one else around. If there isn't anyone driving on the highway, it's hard for these people to remind other Americans that there is no speed limit. I think that Montana is one state that has unregulated speeds in out-of-town areas.

One thing in America, the system is set up to collect money for speeding. If speeding laws had anything to do with public safety, they would make it a $10,000 fine and 3 years in jail. The thing is that the system set up in America is a good way for goverment to make money. Also, it stimultates the economy: It creates jobs for judges, police, and lawyers. In addition, it helps insurance companies make money with higher rates for drivers' with moving violations.

One thing that people on the different sides of the world are overlooking is the huge differences between countries. I watched a show on Discover, Learning Chanel, Speed TV, whatever station it was where they were driving 160-180 mph on the German Autohoban. There isn't any traffic over there. Yes there are some cars, but if Germany's Authoban had one half of the traffic that the average American highway had, you could kiss your high speeds goodby. (The show I watched also included the speed regulated areas.) On many American superhighways, it would be nice if you could you could drive the posted speed limit, something that can be difficult to do because it's hard to drive 55-65 when it's bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. You know when you have wreck on the Autoban and they close the road, stacking up traffic? That type of traffic is normal highway conditions in many parts of America. In other words, you cannot find a stretch of Amerian highway that would be safe to drive at high speeds, the reason I posted a location, so those in the area that needed to get it out of their system could find a safe place to do so, rather then killing me.

You mention why does America make such cars if one cannot drive them? These are not your average American cars. MY STS is probally in the top 5% (maybe more, mayb less) of the fastest strongest cars in America, meaning that most Americans drive cars that are slugs.

Another reason why they make such cars is that almost everyone in America owns at least one car. I don't remember the statistics but the number of cars per hunderd people far surpasses any other country in the wold. (It's darn close to 100 cars per 100 people. Some local areas have more than 100 cars per 100 people.) I forget the number of cars owned by per hundered 18 year old Americans, but it's staggering. My daugher, who is 22, owns 3 vehicles. Her boyfreind owns 4 and has a company truck. These youngsters are not an exception, rather they represent the norm. With that much car market in America, there is a huge market for performance vehicles. The thing is that the performance car market reflects a small portion of the American car market.

The show was probably Fifth Gear. It's an Automobile magazine in England. The Autobahn does have traffic, but it also has one of the most advanced Traffic monitoring systems in the world. They have cameras everywhere, signs that warn of slowing traffic speeds miles in advance and a central station where they keep track of all this. If we had that on the West Side Highway, or any other road that turns into a parking lot during rush hour, we wouldn't have it nearly as bad.

When I drive on the New Jersey Turnpike, sometimes they will use these neon signs that say "Reduce Speed", "Congestion Ahead", and "Accident". Stuff like that. The only problem is when it says "Re uc S ed" or "Co esti n Ahe ", it doesn't really help. The traffic control systems utilized in most major cities in this country are rather antiquated and out of date, compared to other European countries. Not to mention that half of the time, none of this stuff works.

"Rubbernecking" is also another reason why we have such bad traffic. Just because someone got a speeding ticket, or there's an accident on the other side of the highway, is no reason to slow down to 15mph just to take a look. I hate this s**t. I don't know why people can't keep there eyes on the road, and drive. It's like everyone, in every major metropolitan area somehow developed ADD or something. This is the kind of stuff that causes accident. Not to mention that most people, don't have the discipline, or ability to drive in a controlled manor at higher speeds (65-75mph) on the highway. This means, that the two people driving side by side at 50mph hold up traffic for miles behind them. This is what leads to accidents, and road rage. Not good. It would be nice if we had better control of traffic, and the average driver was more aware of there surrounding, but you can't have everything.

Maybe one day, we'll get the traffic in this country under control, but not for awhile I imagine.

<_<

145mph and the caddy was still going, but I got to my exit. I was crusing at about 90-95mph when I got passed by a late eighties MR2. It was very unexpected and I didn't have time to react so I just let him go. A little bit down the road I came up behind him on a merge to another highway. At this point I decided that my STS wasn't about to be shown up by a twenty year old Japanese racer. I stomped it as we merged on to the next highway and it took until right at 145 for me to finally pass him. I immediatley had to jam the brakes to get off at my exit, but at least I did get in front of him before i had to exit.

Moin Eckhard,

Du fährst einen ´95 STS und kommst aus Deutschland ?

Wo kommst Du her ?

Wie lange fährst Du den Wagen schon ?

Bist Du zufrieden ?

Ich komme aus der Nähe von Hamburg und fahre einen ´95 Eldorado.

Gruß Frank

Moin Eckhard,

Du fährst einen ´95 STS und kommst aus Deutschland ?

Wo kommst Du her ?

Wie lange fährst Du den Wagen schon ?

Bist Du zufrieden ?

Ich komme aus der Nähe von Hamburg und fahre einen ´95 Eldorado.

Gruß Frank

Hummel, hummel....

wollte sagen moin,moin.

Tja, die ganz andere Ecke aus Deutschland.

Eriskirch am Bodensee.

Meinen Cady habe ich seit 2 Jahren und bin sehr zufrieden.

Direkt nach dem Kauf hatte ich ein defektes Getriebe (Rückwärtsgang), aber das war noch Garantie.

Der STS hat jetzt fast 155tkm drauf und liegt im Verbrauch, stark Launeabhängig, bei 10,3 (Strecke nach Italien) bis 15,5 (Kurzsztrecke Stadt bei -5°C).

Richtigen Ärger hatte ich sonst nicht.

Ich habe übrigens die originalen Werkstatthandbücher (so um 1500 Seiten) + einiges auf CD (auch für den Eldo).

Gruß Eckhard B)

p.s. ich hatte schon einen Ford Crown Victoria LTD Country Squire 5.0L V8 und einen Pontia Firebird 3,4L V6.

Der Crowny war kultiger und der Pontiac etwas sportlicher (Fahrwerk), aber der STS vereint Stärke, Platz und ein rundum gutes Gefühl.

Ich hoffe Du hast den Eldo schon auf Euro 2 umschreiben lassen..... !

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

Pontiacs rule! :D

I hit 140 on the clock in my 455, 2 series geared 69 Firebird I owned in the late 80s. I was too young to know any better!

I hit 130 on my buddy's 750 Paso Duc in the mountains outside Colorado Springs. That one I'd do again!

95 Eldo---Sold!

05 STS4-WooHoo!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I dont´t understand...

why are you buying (or build) cars with 300 hp if you may drive only 70 mls/h (legal) ???

Now, a fast car must drive fast also you can drive an ...

"to cast pearls before swine" (a german humor) ;-)

Merry christmas and a happy new year

Frank

acceleration :D

"to cast pearls before swine" (biblical humor) :D

I haven't gone fast at all really. but I'm only 17 so I've got a while

Archived