CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

01 eldorado windows

rockfangd

Hi all. Hope someone can give me some ideas.

Let me start by reminding that the eldos do not have frames around the door windows.

If the blower is running I cant close the door right. The window doesn't hit right where it is supposed to.

It hits the block toward the front of the window and makes a nasty noise. I have to either shut the car off or shut off the blower. It must be the pressure causes the window to push out when I try to shut the door.

It also does it sometimes without even having the car on.

It is incredibly annoying and embarassing to have to keep opening and carefully trying to close the door,

In the spring and summer I can tolerate it ok but I cannot in the winter.

Reason being is that I cannot roll down the window when it is frozen, and I know all too well what happens when you try to.

I am afraid of breaking the window, or the block on the body, or damaging the door panel more than it already is.

Before I tear into the door is there something I should know about this setup?

I must say this car has me quite irritated, It still shakes, it still burns excessive oil, and the doors. I would give anything to have another 96 Deville.

Thanks all in advance

I must also add that when the door shuts ok the window seats fine and there is no wind noise.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

My info wont help much...

That tiny guide block position and adjustment is critical. They can be squezed and adjusted some. My 72 and 73 Chevelles had them. That assumes all the other internal door parts are in good shape and adjusted correctly.

A interesting feature on some other current frameless windows...they drop down a 1/4 inch when you open and shut the door. And they do it faster than you can open the door. Mustang, Thunderbird, Mini Cooper...bet there is more. Only problem is when the battery is dead. The window will hit the car..

Anyway...does it have the guide blocks like in the pic?

post-2-0-22935300-1420643997_thumb.jpg

yes. that is what it hits. It is extremely aggrivating because It takes 6 or 7 times to shut the door just right.

The bmw coupes did that also. It was as fast as you could pull the door handle. Nice feature as long as it worked.

The timing had to be programmed on the window motors to know the right tension at full closed, then it went 1/4 in down on open, then back up 1/4 when closed.

What holds the block in place? If I could get it up a hair it might be better

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

Well I managed to remedy the situation for the time being. Hopefully til spring anyway.

I adjusted the window using the 2 adjusters at the top of the door. I drove it without the door panel in place for a week to make sure it shut ok.

It still wont shut all the way with the blower on high but at least it shuts correctly.

I am thinking the guides are bad at the front and rear of the window.

In the spring I am going to find out what parts will need to be ordered for a proper repair. There should also be blocks at the rear of the door to keep the window at a specific angle, This adjustment gets messed up when people open and close the door by holding the window rather than the door.

It is just too cold to chance breaking something and having issues.

Of course I had to repair the door panel again. I really wish the door panels were better designed considering the weight of the doors.

I like the style of the 94-99 Deville best. they should have used that design in the eldos.

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

well guys the door is working quite nicely. I must have done something right lol.

I also found that if I grab the door by the top of the panel just below the window it shuts every time and does not pull on the panel in the grab handle.

Once spring comes I wont even really have to worry because my windows are nearly always down. darn winters

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived