CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DetroitNews: GM to lay off about 450 at Lansing Grand River

General Motors Co. confirmed Monday it will lay off close to 450 hourly workers — about 100 more than originally announced — at its Lansing Grand River Assembly Plant as it moves to one shift early next year.

The Detroit automaker said last month it would lay off 350 workers at the plant that builds the Cadillac ATS, ATS Coupe and CTS because of lagging sales of the cars. The company also said it would cut one of two shifts, and about 350 workers on the second shift would supplement the first shift.

Read more: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2014/12/08/gm-lansing-grand-river-layoffs/20102487/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Interesting diatribe. GM sales (overall) are up but some of the lower volume models are having problems (since most are in the high price realm). Here I believe is part of the problem, where incentives have the buying public somewhat fearfull (maybe too strong of a word), that it's tough to buy when they could possibly spends hundreds and sometimes thousand more (not knowing the best time to buy). I believe, and this is my opinion and of course not knowing all the facts, but lower MSRP to begin with could allay some fears and also represent the auto maker as the value they so wish to portray.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

The CTS sales perhaps follow the argument that pricing the CTS upmarket has been difficult.

The ATS' poor sales are not so easily explained. This new entry level Cadillac has been very well received by the media, but has consistently undersold Cadillac's targets. I believe a portion of the reason is pricing -- but the range of pricing rather than the price point per se. The ATS starts near $33K but fully optioned topics $58K, which is way over the hill and around the bend from where a fully loaded entry level model should reside. The range of each model should not be over $25K wide -- who is buying $25K in options on a $33K car? The standard ATS should start at $29.9 and the fully loaded Premium 3.6L or Premium 2L Turbo should be no more than $45K.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Pretty much agree with you Bruce. Cadillac has to make a case for the 'Bimmer' crowd to give the ATS a chance (it already is on par or better on most fronts), but how do you do that............value pricing. Conquest sales, and then it still takes time, to create a following (BMW has been 'hauling the mail' for over 40 years. Caddy is on the right track and needs to "stay the course".

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Archived