CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Well, not sure how to fix this... My speedo needle has fallen off.

It is currently resting on the bottom of the gauge cluster inside. I can see the little motor where the needle was attached, and it is still turning, showing current speed, so that's a plus. It looks like it just got loose and fell out??

Anyway, I've been looking on how to get inside the cluster, but there's not much written on repairs, just mostly swapping them out. Is there a thread on how to just get into the cluster and get the plastic protector off the front? I have done this to an old honda before but I'm sure this won't be as easy. ill just gorilla glue that stick back on there if i can get to it! I do have the digital projection speedo still, just looks ridiculous with no needle, and there it is lying on the bottom like a dead goldfish...

Thanks if anyone can help with a link or a simple way to get into it!

The AC vents, top of the dash, and wood trim have to come out...you then will have access to the cluster.

post-2-0-63730700-1415134812_thumb.jpg

The clusters....with some effort. Can be taken apart and repaired. Not for the weak at heart and you better have a plan B..

The service manual has you swap out the cluster with one from a Delco radio /speedo repair facility. So the dealers just swap them out.

This one is being repaired for a burned out 'service engine soon' LED. You can see the temp, speedo, rpm, and fuel gauge drive motors (black) still mounted in the white plastic.

Your repairs should not be this deep. You may be able to pop off the clear lens...reapply the needle and be done. But it may require replacement of the speedo drive motor.

post-2-0-22229300-1415134961_thumb.jpg

The AC vents, top of the dash, and wood trim have to come out...you then will have access to the cluster.

Thanks Logan. Yea, more complicated than what I've done before, but I have resoldered a motor on a different type car. Hope the easy fix is all it takes, I can just take the top of dash and get the lens off no problem, just didn't want to actually remove the cluster. Probably leave it as is if so.

Your repairs should not be this deep. You may be able to pop off the clear lens...reapply the needle and be done. But it may require replacement of the speedo drive motor.

Would you happen to know how the needle is held on to the motor? is there a set screw, or a spring, or does it just push into the shaft? It's impossible to tell from outside the lens

The needles typically push on. Hopefully, it did not break off leaving a piece in the needle. Dont think I have heard of one falling off...they are a pretty tight press fit.

I think your going to have to remove the cluster to get the lens off. But it's easy to remove the cluster once you are that far anyway.

It is quite rare but I have seen it happen. I think the plastic of the needle may be brittle and splits where it presses over the shaft of the motor.

You may be able to just reinstall your needle but I would wonder what made it come off in the first place

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived