CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

210000 km tomorrow!

Jan Olsson

Tomorrow my STS will make the 210000 km mark on my way to work (this equals 130500 miles). I bought the car with just 33000 km on the odometer (20500 miles) 7.5 years ago and it still runs like a champ. Only minor work has been done. Except from the usual stuff (i.e. tires, pads etc.) I have replaced the servo pump, a brake line, crank shaft sensors, front wheel bearings (twice), front engine mount, rear ignition control module, a radiator (because of some damage done by a previous owner), e-brake cables and the rear calipers. A couple of days ago it had an underbody coating to make sure it will last a little bit longer ;)

I changed the HIDs a couple of days ago too. I changed the OEM ones for Volkswagen OEM when they were 10 years old (!) The new VW ones were as bright as the old ones..or dark. Now I have Osram night breakers and they REALLY make a difference. I’m going to use the Meguiars headlight restoration kit and aim the lights proper because they are a little bit off to the right as for now. Next projects are: get new studded tires for the winter, fix the headlight washers (they are pressure activated but are unfortunately sticking, possibly because of sediments from bad tap water), get a new “kidney” (the intake resonator) because there is a slight vacuum leak where it connects to the intake duct, replace the front cabin fan because of excessive noise at full fan speed and try to get hold of a 2006 navigation DVD for Europe. They are darn near impossible to find and GM Europe doesn’t even know that they exist, nor gmnavdisc.com. It’s not a big deal because the roads here in Sweden looks just like they did 50 years ago but it would be nice to have a working copy. The one I use now is a burned DVD copy and they seem to last about a year before they quit. Usually I burn a new copy of the old disc and everything is ok for another year but my new computer doesn’t seem to make viable copies.

I always drive my car hard and it still gets decent mileage for it’s size, weight and power given that I drive it like I’ve stole it ;) I see no reason to retire it any time soon and after I’ve got myself a STS-V it will be in the family as long as I can keep it running.

Congratulations. I also undercoat my cars. Since you are also into your car for the long haul, have you considered spraying the raw metal parts, and electrical connectors etc. with the likes of wd-40? It is an oil that soaks in or creates an oil film on the metal to keep moisture away. I buy the spray can and spray under the hood and the underbody (except the exhaust). I am sure the winters can be rough there.

Congratulations. I also undercoat my cars. Since you are also into your car for the long haul, have you considered spraying the raw metal parts, and electrical connectors etc. with the likes of wd-40? It is an oil that soaks in or creates an oil film on the metal to keep moisture away. I buy the spray can and spray under the hood and the underbody (except the exhaust). I am sure the winters can be rough there.

I live in the southern part of Sweden. That means LOTS of road salt because our traffic safety department use the cheapest method possible to deal with the snow and ice. It would be better if they send out some snow plows instead of making slush... Frequent car washes, undercoating and WD-40 seems to do the trick though. And of course a quality car ;)

Archived