CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello, this is my first post on here. I've gotten great info so far, and I hope someone here can help me.

I just purchased my 95 Eldorado ETC (paid $1000), 158K on it and knowing it needs work, but it runs pretty good. Cheap enough to dump some money into and have a nice ride for a change.

I am replacing just about everything on the rear suspension - but one thing I cannot find are the rear lower control arm frame bushings. Does anyone know where to find them? Are they available?

The bushings on there now look really dry rotted, and I am assuming that when I dive into this project I will find them to be worn out....

barczy01 thanks for the reply - but that is the knuckle bushing, I got those.

I'm looking for the lower control arm bushings (there are 2 of them) where the control arm connects to the subframe.

No, I don't mean the subframe bushings - I got those too.

Without looking through the FSM or doing a parts search, I'll volunteer that those might be molded into the control arm.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I cannot find a listing for them - and there is no procedure or reference in the FSM to replace them.

It seems strange that when these bushings wear out you have to buy an new lower control arm - get lucky and find a good one in the junk yard - or junk the entire car..??

They seem like they can be pressed out...I'll have to just try it out and see how it goes...

Rock Auto has them. They offer bushings for the lower arm by Ultrapower, Mevotech, and Moog at prices from $6.51 to $19.30 (the Moog part includes a metal sleeve that you may need if you can't use the old one). Apparently AC/Delco sells the inner bushings on the lower control arm as part of a new control arm so there is no AC/Delco part offered.

Theey also carry the two bushings at the top, between the wishbone and the subframe, Rock Auto has them by Raybestons and by AC/Delco at the same price, $27.49 each. You will need four. AC/Delco part number is given as 45G31002 (replaces 19261967), Raybestos part number 5791040. Picture accompanying AC/Delco part (part is "Upper to Frame" and "lower inner" in drawing):

ACDelco_CADILLAC_ELDORADO_REAR%20SUSPENS

Picture of AC/Delco part (Raybestos part similar):

45G31002_Alternate5.jpg

The chart seems to show that parts from 1993 through 2002 are the same for the rear control arms. There was a change in the details of the FRONT suspension between the 1996 and 1997 model years but the rear seems to be the same for 1993-2002.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Let me know if you have trouble with the lower knuckle bushings - I did , and had to shave some off the width of the sleeve to make up for the thickness of that clip that is installed on the A-arm to prtect the aluminum, least that's what I think they are for..... I just did them on my 95 Eldo , along with struts , rear shocks , new airline kit , front hubs, new half shafts , and yesterday new outer tie rod ends -

@Jim, The bushings I am looking for are #45G11052 (I think).The chart says those bushings are for a 1992-93. My arm is the one in the R037 picture. It doesn't look like the (inner) bushings are available, but the ones in the R038 picture are available. The pictures of the 052 bushing looks exactly like the ones in my 1995 arm - so, I'm gonna take a chance, order those and see what happens. Thanks for the info....

The bushing you pictured is the knuckle bushing, of which I have the moog part...

I will keep everyone posted when I start this project.

Let me know if you have trouble with the lower knuckle bushings - I did , and had to shave some off the width of the sleeve to make up for the thickness of that clip that is installed on the A-arm to prtect the aluminum, least that's what I think they are for..... I just did them on my 95 Eldo , along with struts , rear shocks , new airline kit , front hubs, new half shafts , and yesterday new outer tie rod ends -

I will, thanks for the heads up. I am replacing every bushing on the rear suspension (except the sub-frame bushings) cus they are new. Also replacing air shocks, springs, air lines, compressor, brake lines, calipers, rotors/pads, and brushing off the rust and applying a nice coat of rust encapsulator (by Eastwood).

After extensive research I found these guys. They have the bushings that NOBODY else has. Eventhough they are poly bushings, the control arms can be easilly modified to accept zerk grease fittings - if need be. $185 for both sides isn't cheap, but as I found out today - the inner front and inner back bushings are different sizes. The size of the bushing (45G11052) I was going to get from Rock Auto wasn't not even close to the size needed..

http://www.polycadbushings.com/

9026812_orig.jpg?269?4394825

Well I got 2 rear lower control arms from the junk yard $20 (nice) - and decided to remove the bushings and install the new polybushings (when I get them) so the job will be hopefully smoother.

In removing the bushings I think I have discovered the probable reason that no "big" manufacturer (AC-Delco, MOOG, etc..) offer these particular bushings. The control arm is aluminum and the bushing retainer is steel. When steel and aluminum are "pressed" together (without the use of an anti-oxidant) over time the oxidation that happens between the two different metals may cause stress to the control arm bushing housing (rubber material breaks down, allows moisture into area between steel and aluminum and presto oxidation). Being that the arm is aluminum it may become weak? - maybe? IDK for sure. but I discovered this cus pressing out this bushing was a no-go. I had to cut it out (length wise) with a hacksaw blade and steel chisel. I found lots of oxidation build up in the bushing housing of the control arm...

When I get more computer savy, I will post pics of my progress.

I think that you have discovered why the bushing and the control arm come as one part from GM.

Archived