CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mailbag: 2011 CTS-V Coupe Fob Programming

Cadillac Jim

I have the above named automobile [2011 CTS-V Coupe] and have one working fob#2 that came with the car, fully functional

I purchased an identical aftermarket fob labled #1 on line

I had a locksmith program it and cut the inside key. All the fob #1 buttons work fine but the seat and wheel do not automatically adjust

I find now from the smith that he programmed it to #3

I am looking for instructions for reprogramming it to #1 that would not require a scan device.

There are no locks on the doors so I assume I would be using the one on the trunk

If you could direct me to this information I would be grateful

If you have the proximity key like my car, the fob doesn't set the driver position. My car has two driver positions that are operated by three buttons on the for forward part of the left armrest. To set position number 1, get everything the way you like it, press SET, then press 1 and hold it until you hear the two beeps. To go to the saved position, press 1 momentarily. The same for position 2. The number of the fob is irrelevant.

Unless the coupe is different, I don't think you have a problem. Get an owner's manual from the dealer or from Helm, Inc and read it. I had the same problem because I bought my CTS-V used from a non-GM dealer that threw away the owner's manual. Most used car dealers do that if the previous owner wrote in the manual, particularly their name, phone, address, or other personal information.

You can download the owner's manual as a PDF file online. Link, anyone?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks, Texas Jim. I've looked at the FSM for 2011 and everything I see on programming anything has a Tech II involved. Some cars allow programming fobs through the radio or the DIC, and the 2011 CTS is programmable in a lot of ways through the DIC. But the fob is a proximity key and as such it is definitely a security and anti-theft item.

I didn't even see fob programming in the 2011 FSM. I did find a page listing about 50 ways to program different things around the car, from the door locks to the brakes, but the fob wasn't listed. Unless it's on another page, the fob is a locksmith-level programming option that requires a security code and is only done by bonded locksmiths, and isn't in the regular tech manual.

I watched a locksmith program a fob for my wife's 1999 Pontiac Grand Am once and he used a tool that seems to be a subset of a Tech II for locksmiths. It was limited to programming fobs but it operated like a Tech II.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived