CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi all. My 2001 Eldo is the first car I have ever bought that has secondary air injection.

I am not very used to it so I have a few questions.

Should you wait til the pump kicks off to take off? Reason why I ask this is because when the engine is already warm and I restart it, the pump cycles on again and I have been waiting for it to kick off, sometimes up to 2 minutes.

Also It seems like it kicks on while driving sometimes, just briefly at low speeds. Is that normal?

I dont much care for the air pump setup, it just seems like more to go wrong lol.

I have no lights or codes.

Thanks all

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The wikipedia page for secondary air injection gives a good overview of its development and how its primary purpose has changed.

In any modern car, and 2001 is modern, you should never wait for the car to "warm up" or the equivalent. They are designed to be driven as soon as started and the various multiplexed ECUs work together in consort with one another to do what needs to be done to optimize performance based on "what's happening now."

The secondary air injection at startup is to give the catalytic converters a "kick start" toward reaching peak operating temperature.

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Bri the Tech Guy   http://britechguy.com
britechguy@gmail.com   (540) 324-5032
"If it's got you screaming, I'll help you stop!!"

Thanks. So basically treat it just like my 90s era northstars?

GM FAN FOREVER

Not knowing how you treated your 90s era Northstars, that's a hard question to answer. But, if I infer correctly, yes.

As a general rule, all modern cars are designed to be driven immediately after starting. I always did this with my cars, including older ones, and continue to do so.

There's nothing to be gained by sitting for several minutes. Oil is coursing through almost instantaneously, coolant is going where it needs to go when cold, and all you're doing is wasting fuel. I have yet to hear a single convincing reason why you don't just start a car and drive it. I have yet to see a single component failure that could only be explained by driving away as soon as the car is running.

This, of course, presumes you're not talking about starting a car that's been sitting out at 20-below-zero for days or weeks. Even then, you needn't wait all that long.

Brian

Brian

Forums_Pic.jpg

Bri the Tech Guy   http://britechguy.com
britechguy@gmail.com   (540) 324-5032
"If it's got you screaming, I'll help you stop!!"

My cars never idle. If they arent moving they are not running.

Typical rule of thumb for me has always been once the tach drops under 1,000 rpm I am gone.

Thats why I dont have car starters. I have always run my cars this way and have never had a problem.

It just throws me off with this air pump setup. I have been waiting for it to shut off before I take off because it holds the rpms around 1200 rpm til it shuts off

GM FAN FOREVER

My cars never idle. If they arent moving they are not running.

Typical rule of thumb for me has always been once the tach drops under 1,000 rpm I am gone.

Thats why I dont have car starters. I have always run my cars this way and have never had a problem.

It just throws me off with this air pump setup. I have been waiting for it to shut off before I take off because it holds the rpms around 1200 rpm til it shuts off

Mine also keeps the RPM around 1200 when it is first started ... but if I put it in gear... JUST A SPLIT SECOND before the transmission engages, it lowers the RPM to about 850/900.

The only time mine idles is in the wintertime and then only if Darling Wife is going someplace with me.

I will remote start the car and let it run for a few minutes to be warm and comfortable for her when she gets in.

Posted Image

Archived