CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 deville running issues

my 2000 deville (which i never drive) but start up and let run decided to give a BIG problem today. i went to charge my a/c up and when i started it it was running very rough...last week it did it also but after letting it run it smoothed out but today it stayed same and was actually worse. i drove it around the block and check engine light was flashing and car was sputtering like it didnt want to go. sputtering out of exhaust and exhaust was gettin real hot and giving off smoke from behind tires area. it was actually starting to burn my grass. i dont understand why it would do this all of a sudden. i pulled codes and this is what was there

p01571

u1040

u1064

u1192

the only code that is usually in there is the tcc code and its been for years..i need help please!!!

P1571 Traction Control Torque Request Circuit
U1040 Loss of Class 2 Communications with ABS
U1064 Loss of Communications with DIM
U1192 Loss of VTD Class 2 Serial Data Com

You didn't say if any of these are CURRENT, or what module threw the network (Unnn) codes. The usual TCC code is P0741, which isn't listed.

The first two make it look like the EBTCM is offline. The third one is odd; apparently the IPC lost the data line to the DIM; if it is HISTORY you might ignore it unless you clear it and it comes back quickly. The last says the vehicle theft deterrent module is offline. None explain the rough running. You may have a short in the wiring harness. But, the most likely thing from your post is a very low battery, or a corroded battery cable.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand about something getting hot and putting out smoke from behind the tires. That sounds like it could be a wiring harness short in the compressor for the leveling system. Slide a hand mirror under the car and shine a flashlight on it and see if you can spot something up under there in the region where the smoke is coming from. Like a rat's nest. Look under the hood, too. Rats and mice have also been known to take up housekeeping under the intake manifold.

I see no codes that could explain the driveability problems, the sputtering, etc. I know that there *are* codes for that because that's what turns the MIL on and off, as you report happening.

Once the heat and smoke issue is cleared, if it is still sputtering, it could be stale gas, water in the gas, clogged fuel injectors, or dirty spark plugs. If so, a bottle of Techroline in a fresh tank of top-tier premium gas and a long drive, if it clears enough to be drivable, can clear up a lot of cobwebs.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I don't understand about something getting hot and putting out smoke from behind the tires. That sounds like it could be a wiring harness short in the compressor for the leveling system. Slide a hand mirror under the car and shine a flashlight on it and see if you can spot something up under there in the region where the smoke is coming from. Like a rat's nest. Look under the hood, too. Rats and mice have also been known to take up housekeeping under the intake manifold.

I see no codes that could explain the driveability problems, the sputtering, etc. I know that there *are* codes for that because that's what turns the MIL on and off, as you report happening.

Once the heat and smoke issue is cleared, if it is still sputtering, it could be stale gas, water in the gas, clogged fuel injectors, or dirty spark plugs. If so, a bottle of Techroline in a fresh tank of top-tier premium gas and a long drive, if it clears enough to be drivable, can clear up a lot of cobwebs.

Jim... the way I read his post... the heat was from the catalytic converter because the engine was running rough.

He said it was even burning his grass.

The smoke was probably from unburned fuel being dumper into the exhaust..

Posted Image

I would check the FPR. It takes only a few minutes, and it could be causing the car to flood when you first start it up.

If the FPR is OK, go straight to the Techroline and fresh gas, and a leisurely drive in the country over 45 mph for about an hour each way.

But I still wonder about what happened to the Pnnnn codes that were set to turn on the MIL.

Archived