CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mailbag: ABS light on

The sentence "My ABS light won't go off" is clear enough. I infer that "it is a reset button." is asking how to turn it off.

The lights on the dashboard are turned on by the car's computers when a problem is detected. All cars sold in the US since the 1996 model year have On Board Diagnostics OBD (and Cadillacs have had precursors of OBD since at least 1981). OBD is the written standard that defines the device trouble codes (DTCs) that are available and their meaning, and which ones relate to emissions requirements. Any time a dashboard warning light is turned on, there is a DTC that tells why this light was turned on.

Not every DTC will turn on a dashboard warning light; some of them are there to help the dealer or mechanic maintain the car, and some will cause messages on the driver information center but not turn on a warning light. But for every dashboard warning light there is a DTC that tells why that light was turned on.

In Cadillacs from about 1992 through 2005 model years, the owner can get the OBD codes himself without a code reader using the buttons on the A/C console and reading them from the driver information center below the speedometer. See the link in my signature block for instructions on how to do this for your model. Write them down and post them here. We will interpret the DTCs and tell you what needs to be fixed to turn off the ABS light.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived