CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What's that Clunk?

DashingDaryl

My Mom's 1995 4.9 Deville has a clunk whenever the car shifts gears. The car's battery was giving us problem, but we got it resolved. I still haven't done the idle learn procedure on it and wonder if that isn't part of the problem

Do you think the hard shifts are due to the battery, the Idle Learn Procedure, or a bad transmission mount?

The car is 10 years old, and the mounts have never been changed.

I see there are two tranny mounts and one engine mount.

Do you think it's a Tranny mount? And DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SECRETS/SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO CHANGE THEM? Is it pretty straight forward?

Open the hood, perform the power brake maneuver (brakes applied firmly shift in D and R) and watch the engine. If it jumps more than 0.5" mount/mounts are bad. The mounts are more visible when the same procedure is preformed on a hoist.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

So i got both of the tranny mounts from the dealer. I crawl under my car, and one of the mounts looks smaller. It's the right mount, (number 10 in the picture) and it looks like the "Legs" of the mount are significantly smaller on my car.

BA94220.gif

I run the part number through trademotion, and it says there is only 1 model for the right side mount for all 4.9 engines, so this must be the one.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

A lot of OEM online parts places use a program that they rent from TradeMotion. It has a listing of all the parts for your car (or most of them) It is an electronic version of the Insurance Books they use to quote accident damage.

If you go to someplace like Autopartspeople.com you can look up the part you need, and view the illustration, if it has one.

another interesting places to go is www.acdelco.com which allows you to put in a ac delco part number and find out what vehicles the part will work for.

Vehicle List by Part Number

I think they are called torque strut mounts, as you rev the engine you will see them limit the engines movement, I am sure they do quite a bit under acceleration to stop engine movement. I am not 100% positive but I think they may sell replacement bushings for that mount, Mike

A lot of OEM online parts places use a program that they rent from TradeMotion. It has a listing of all the parts for your car (or most of them) It is an electronic version of the Insurance Books they use to quote accident damage.

If you go to someplace like Autopartspeople.com you can look up the part you need, and view the illustration, if it has one.

another interesting places to go is www.acdelco.com which allows you to put in a ac delco part number and find out what vehicles the part will work for.

Vehicle List by Part Number

DashingDaryl,

Very interesting!

I was unaware of this procedure...

thank you for the reply...

I will look into it...

Happy Holidays...

I don't know about replacing the bushings in the dog bone but when I replaced the dog bones on my w bodies before, they were only like $15 a strut. I can't imagine trying to replace the bushings in one of those just to save a few bucks.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Archived