CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Climate Control Center backlight not working / illuminating???

Hey Guys!

I'm looking to buy my son his 1st Caddy - but with his money. :) Looking at a 2004 Deville (Base) that has something wrong with the Climate Control Center. Everything supposedly works (heat/AC) but it's not illuminating (backlit) so you can't see what you're controlling. Any ideas what that could be? Saw a post online where replacing the BCM computer fixed a similar problem. Where is the BCM located and is easy to get to? Behind the glovebox or ? Can I get one of those from the junk yard w/o issues or does it have to be programmed to the vehicle?

The seller is knocking off $350 if I do the repair or he can repair it on Monday. He said he was going to R&R the whole Climate Control Center with a used one from a junkyard. Worried if I wait until Monday and he does the repair someone else will buy it from under me. It's on Craigslist and the CLers around here are ruthless. I havent seen the car yet - going later today Sat 2pm est. He will take $3900 (maybe less) as is or will most likely want his asking price of $4250 if he does the repair. Car has 105,000 miles and is supposedly clean with no other issues. Good deal?

Please advise ASAP.....going to see this in 10 hours. Thanks!!!

You will need someone with a 2004 FSM or experience with that model to be sure, but the body control module (called the platform zone module, or PZM) on my car, is behind the rear seat and has nothing to do with the dash lighting. The dash lighting is from power generated by the instrument panel module (IPM) which generates regulated, boosted, and dimmed power sources for the dashboard, instrument panel, and radio in my 1997 Eldorado. The IPM is in the.... (drum roll...) instrument panel.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You don't have to pull the whole instrument panel to get at the IPM but it still is a bear of a job. The issue was probably a fuse or wiring problem but if the IPM needed to be changed, you would have to take it and the new one to a dealer to have all your car's information transferred over. The IPM is the master computer for the whole car.

You did the right thing. If a used car is presented as ready-to-drive, you don't want to be faced with a bunch of difficult projects first, and maybe even a problem with inspection for safety or pollution to get plates.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

A lot of times the small bulbs burn out. The steering wheel switches on my 2005 Deville lost the liights - GM makes you buy a $40.00 switch per side ($80.00 total) to get 6 bulbs. I went to Radio Shack and purchased some 12V bulbs - part no. 272-1154 and soldered them in the existing switches for about $13.00

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived