CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake Lines

tomcad95

In my 1997 FSM, page 5E2-5, the hydraulic flow diagram shows no proportioning valve. The front/rear balance is determined by the total caliper piston area for the rear versus the front.

This system is dual, with the LF/RR on one system and the RF/LR on the other. Both front and rear are disc brakes. If this doesn't describe your car, you need someone with a 1995 FSM.

The plumbing from the master cylinder goes to a TCS prime valve and a TCS master cylinder isolation valve for each system. The LF/RR system is on the front (closest to the brake pedal linkage) and the RF/LR is on the back of the master cylinder. These lines go to the valve body on the valve/pump assembly that the EBTCM is bolted to, which is behind the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side. You remove the air cleaner housing to see it from the top, but you might find access easier from the bottom.

The brake component diagram on page 5E2-6 shows the LF/RR line on the master cylinder going down, then to the left to the frame rail, then forward to the EBTCM. The RF/LR line goes down, then forward, then to the right across the car, then forward, joining the other right-hand-side brake lines to cross over in front of the engine to the valve body. If I'm interpreting all this correctly, the RF/LR line between the master cylinder and the valve body is a piece of work.

If you need more, I will look deeper into the FSM. There were a lot of changes between 1995 and 1997 so this might be better done using a 1995 FSM.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The main lines that go from the master to the abs are metric. 7mm to be exact. I bought premade lines with the red fittings that screwed in fine and I bent them to fit.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

those are the ones I was referring to. I just did mine a year ago.

I bought mine from advance auto parts but they should be available at most parts stores. What I did was remove the old lines one at a time and measured them. Both were the same length but were bent slightly different. Maybe 30 or 40 inch line it was. I cant remember for sure but when I bent the new ones they were a perfect fit to the originals

GM FAN FOREVER

me neither but the local parts stores had them. If you ask for metric lines and they dont know what you are talking about or if they try to sell you 1/4 line with adapters or 3/16 line with adapters. take your business elsewhere. the lines I got were already fitted with the correct fittings. I dont remember if they were bubble or double flare. But I think they were bubble

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

Ok 6mm. I must have been mistaken. but 40" is perfect when bent to the original lines. Was yours difficult? how did the lines come out of the abs unit. I had to cut my lines at the fittings so I could use a socket

GM FAN FOREVER

I sprayed the line connectors down with PB Blaster and used a 13mm line wrench on them, came off pretty easy. I had a little issue lining up the new lines in the abs unit, but I got it. The bends were fairly easy. I did the bends from the master cylinder down, then I did the bend on the end of the line to the ABS once I had the line connected to the master.

how did you catch yours? I didnt realize mine were bad til my partner called me and told me he had no brakes. One blew next to the traans and pulled air into the master causing it to push air but no fluid therefore no fluid leak but no brakes either

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived