CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front wheel squeaking and other noise?

Cameron Schiesl

Hi. I have a 2001 Seville SLS. It seems to be the front drivers side wheel area is making noise while driving. At slow speeds (under 35) a consistent squeaking noise is present. It is relative with speed (almost harmonic) and very annoying. Braking does nothing. The other noise is from the same area and sounds sort of like the brake wear indicator is always touching the rotor (however it is not). It gets louder and quieter, and sometimes disappears for a few seconds while driving. It isn't speed related and doesn't go away with brakes being applied. I'm confused.

• 3 weeks later...

The only time I had a bearing go bad in the wheel I felt it regardless of speed. It was pretty loud and grew louder at higher speeds. I would second the notion of checking the water pump idler, as this can make a growling and intermittent noise until it finally fails (usually, as was my case, at a very bad time!).

Do some zig-zags (S) and see if the noise is louder when you turn say right. If the noise is direction-dependent, it is most likely your wheel bearing. If it is louder when you turn right, it is your left bearing and vice versa.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived