CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P2763 Code/Trans shifts hard. Everyone is scared!!!

Hi Everyone,

Usually I don't have to post, because you guys have already gone through and resolved whatever problem I might be having with my car. NOT THIS TIME!! There are not many posts out here about this code on any forum. Just a few, which haven't been much help.

I bought an 04 Cadillac Deville from an auction with 189K Miles. When I first got the car, it had a P2763 (

Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit High) Code Current

and P0748(Pressure control solenoid electrical) Code Current. I cleared the Codes and the P2763 came right back. Car hard shifts through all gears for the most part, as if it needs a motor/trans mount. When you first start it and drive, it will shift out OK through the first couple of gears. But after a few mins it will shift hard all the way through. Haven't driven the car much, but I was able to get almost all I/M(Emissions) Monitors up and the only code I have now is the P2763.

I have talked to a few shops that specialize in Cadillacs in the Atlanta, GA area. One shop told me, he could change the Pressure Control Solenoid and that might fix the problem. But he can't guarantee his work, unless he re-builds the whole tranny! Another Guy who works on Cadillacs and is familiar with changing the TCC Solenoid(dropping the cradle, tilting the trans to gain access to side cover) has never seen that code. He recommends changing the wiring harness, TCC Solenoid and Pressure Control Solenoid. But he is also not absolutely positive that will fix the problem. I had a friend of mine, unplug the Trans wiring harness and it seemed to be OK. No oil, bent connectors or broken wires that we could see. The Trans seems to shift on time, and does not slip...just shifts hard. Don't have a p0741 Torque Converter code. Just the P2763 and the P0748 that has not returned yet.

Is there anyone who is familiar with this problem?? What is the Best way to go about diagnosing/fixing the car without swapping out a used Tranny. I don't wanna dump a lot of money into an 8 yr old Car with 189K Miles. But, if changing out the solenoid will fix the problem, I'm willing to have the repair done. Everyone who I spoke to is hesitant. What are my chances here. Excuse the long post, just wanted to give you the whole story. Don't have a lot of history, some normal service records according to Carfax, up until around 130-140K Miles.

"The ignition voltage is provided to the torque converter clutch pulse width modulated (TCC PWM) solenoid valve. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the ON and OFF time of the TCC PWM solenoid by controlling the ground side of the TCC solenoid valve control circuit. The PCM uses a PWM duty cycle, in order to control application and release of the TCC. When the solenoid is commanded OFF, the PCM senses high voltage. When the solenoid is commanded ON, the PCM senses low voltage.

When the PCM detects a short to voltage in the TCC Solenoid valve control circuit, then DTC P2763 sets. DTC P2763 is a type B DTC."

That info is from the service manual.

Looking at the service manual...it appears the problem is either with the TCC solenoid itself or the internal transmission wire harness. Another possibility is someone has played with the external wire harness to try to cure this or some other problem. (or maybe alarm system or remote start..)

A 50/50 bet. No shop will commit to 100% that 'it' will fix it.

You can measure the resistance of the TCC solenoid at the trans plug you mention. That test would offer mountains of info on how to proceed.

There is a video on the net...on how to change the TCC solenoid without dropping the trans.

When I fixed my TCC solenoid, I lowered the engine/trans/craddle about a foot to gain access to the side cover. But in my situation I had a different set of codes. Plus I had measured my TCC solenoid resistance at the trans plug and had a pretty sure bet my TCC solenoid was bad (open).

• 2 weeks later...

Even without knowing it would fix the problem or not, I would definitely recommend replacing the TCC solenoid.

As a matter of fact, I would replace all the solenoids, its not that complicated of a job and the solenoids arent that expansive. The internal wire harness shouldnt be expensive either, so I'd replace that too since youre going to go through opening it up, might as well do it.

Even without knowing it would fix the problem or not, I would definitely recommend replacing the TCC solenoid.

As a matter of fact, I would replace all the solenoids, its not that complicated of a job and the solenoids arent that expansive. The internal wire harness shouldnt be expensive either, so I'd replace that too since youre going to go through opening it up, might as well do it.

Additional information is needed such as the resistance of the TCC solenoid is needed before proceeding. The A/B solenoids were not a problem in that era car so replacing them is a waste of money.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived