CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What would you do? (Head gasket problems)

A veteran of the head gasket wars here...

So, here's the gig quickly.

*Got the 98 Deville over a year ago, was told it had head gasket problems. It was a $900 car, and I knew I wasn't going to do a conventional repair. This one was going to be snake oil all the way.

*Tried a few products (names withheld to protect the innocent) and actually had some success for a while. Unfortunately, we're steaming out the tail pipe and overheating pretty bad now.

*Managed to plug up my heater core along the way. That's pretty common with liquid fixes.

Which brings me to now...

As stated, the heater does not function. I do think there's something weird with the air flow controls behind the glove box (weird noises here and there), but I really think an abortive attempt to fix the HG leak plugged the heater core.

If you were going to try another temporary fix with a sealant, would you get the heater core situation fixed first or not? All these fixes want you to have the heater on high to have the sealant moving through the entire cooling system, but in my case, the heater core is already plugged.

If the sealant made the car drive-able for a while, would it make more sense to address the heater core problem afterwards?

Again, the real fix is not an option. The car isn't worth it. So if anyone has traveled this path and has a little advice, great. If not, that's OK too. The car is headed for the big junkyard in the sky, but I could stand to squeeze a few more miles out of it.

Thanks.

If you dont do the proper fix, its time to junk it, as you say, if the car is worth 900 dollars, pushing $4000 toward it is not prudent. Just spend $4000 on a new car that you test good beforehand

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I would fix the heatercore and see what happens. You will have a restricted flow on the output side of the heatercore

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I would fix the heatercore and see what happens. You will have a restricted flow on the output side of the heatercore

Yes, I think I might go that direction and see what develops.

I probably wasn't clear enough on my position. I do need for this car to be drive-able around town, so if I can get it running OK at minimal cost, it's worth it. That's why I'm asking for advice. Thanks!

Archived