CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Checking out PCV system.

adallak

I read somewhere that a properly working PCV system should cause vacuum felt by your palm if you remove oil cap and plug the filler neck with your palm. I tried and could not notice any vacuum while the engine was idling. How about you , gents?

The PCV valve was replaced by a dealer three years ago and despite it rattled I replaced it with a new one. Also a dried out original PCV elbow was replaced by me. This is Chevy LT1 engine.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I have zero experience with the LT1.

Consider the possibilty that your PVC vacuum source is only active "off idle". Easy enough to check with your palm or a vacuum gauge.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Consider the possibilty that your PVC vacuum source is only active "off idle". Easy enough to check with your palm or a vacuum gauge.

Thanks Jim. I thought it was true for any engine. As for idle, is not the vacuum highest at idle? I cannot see how it would work off idle because there is no any kind of switch related to PCV valve.

Thanks Jim. I thought it was true for any engine. As for idle, is not the vacuum highest at idle? I cannot see how it would work off idle because there is no any kind of switch related to PCV valve.

Elaborate switching is not required. All that is needed would be a PCV vacuum orifice in the throttle body that is not exposed to engine vacuum until the throttle valve is moved off idle.

Purely mechanical.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Elaborate switching is not required. All that is needed would be a PCV vacuum orifice in the throttle body that is not exposed to engine vacuum until the throttle valve is moved off idle.

Purely mechanical.

That is a possibility. Will check it out off idle if I find an assistant.

As assistant to push the accelerator?, just cover the oil intake, and move the throttle linkage manually. You should be able to do that. The only time I have needed an assistant is when I bleed brakes and need someone pushing the brake pedal, DOWN UP, DOWN UP... :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived