CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 Seville Electrical Problems

Greetings!

I am hoping someone could assist me with a 1995 Seville SLS. It appears I am having a few electrical problems with it, and I would like to restore it to full functionality.

So right now the fuel gauge is flashing E (Digital dash)

Oil level sensor does not work

Back up lights do not currently work

Battery voltage is displaying 0.0 on the dash

Whenever I start the car, the fans default to 75 degrees and blowing. So if I start the car, turn off the fans and climate control, turn off the car, then turn it back on, the fans are back blowing at 75 degrees

All of these items have happened within a few months of each other, so I am doubting that all these items decided to go at once. So far I have replaced the PCM, relays relating to the PCM, and the various problems, and have traced the wiring. It appears that the wiring checks out, there are no shorts anywhere that I can find, all the relays appear to be working, and replacing the PCM did not do anything. I am inclined to believe it may be the IPC. If my wiring diagram is correct, the fuel level sensor and the oil level sensor run directly to the IPC, and skip the PCM. However, from my research the IPC is really just a display, it does not really control anything. Is there a way I can confirm it is the IPC? Could there be a bad ground somewhere? I have read that it may help to clean the grounds for the IPC, however I am a bit lost as to where exactly they are. Otherwise is there something I am missing or I should check?

Here are my current codes, which I could use some help on as well. I cannot for the life of me find the definitions for R037 and R038.

r024 history Initiator Circuit Voltage Low

r035 history Discriminating Sensor Open or Missing

r036 history Discriminating Sensor Open or Missing

r037 history

r038 history

r061 Current SIR Indicator Circuit Failure

r062 Current Redundant SIR Indicator Circuit Failure

r071 history Internal Diagnostic Energy Reserve Module Fault

s038 current Electronic Level Control Exhaust Valve Short to Ground/Open

The all digital IPC would be super rare in a 1995 Seville. I don't think I've seen one....any chance a Deville IPC has been swapped in? Is there chrome edging on the IPC buttons?

Are you in a export market?

Is the IPC going into defrost mode by itself with the blower running high?

To me...it sounds like a bad IPC / cluster. But it could be a network problem.

The back up lamps are likely a different, unrelated problem.

The all digital IPC would be super rare in a 1995 Seville. I don't think I've seen one....any chance a Deville IPC has been swapped in? Is there chrome edging on the IPC buttons?

Are you in a export market?

Is the IPC going into defrost mode by itself with the blower running high?

To me...it sounds like a bad IPC / cluster. But it could be a network problem.

The back up lamps are likely a different, unrelated problem.

Nope, it does not have chrome. From my FSM, the all digital was an option for the Seville.

Define export market? Is it an export model? Not from what I can tell.

The IPC is not going into defrost, however I have not really driven it since I got it. These issues I would like to fix before driving it.

I figured the lamps were a different problem, but thought I would call it out.

That being said, I removed the IPC after picking one up at a salvage yard today on a whim. Figured it wouldn't hurt anything to try. Well, the new IPC does not fit. Pulled it off of a 96 Deville. After plugging my IPC back in, the display flickers every time the car is started and the IPC turns on. I checked all connections and everything appears to be snug.

ok. is your car column shift or floor shift? that could be why you have a digital cluster. If it is column shift.

If it is floor shift and you have digital console then I dont know.

A 96 IPC will not work on a 95 I believe.

Export models were setup different sometimes. Example. a column shift model with buckets and a center console. Rare.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

ok. is your car column shift or floor shift? that could be why you have a digital cluster. If it is column shift.

If it is floor shift and you have digital console then I dont know.

A 96 IPC will not work on a 95 I believe.

Export models were setup different sometimes. Example. a column shift model with buckets and a center console. Rare.

Yep, column shift.

That being said, is there a way I can verify the IPC is bad, as opposed to getting mine fixed, or buying fuel pump, oil level sender, etc and throwing parts at the car? Thankfully the current IPC I picked up has a 90 day no hassle return, but when I was there, they did not have the year of my car or anything older really...

Wow...the column shift Seville is a very rare car. I have seen only one at a car lot over the last 15 years. Do you have cloth or leather seats? I see your in MN...maybe a Canadian car brought back into the US.

That said, it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to find the correct IPC for the car (black buttons, digital, with column shift). A column shift digital dash Seville/SLS would be maybe 1 in 500 on the assembly line.

I think the '93-95 Seville and '94-95 Deville clusters are, to some extent, interchangeable. I'm willing to bet the '96 one would not work due to wiring and hardware changes made for OBDII in 1996.

You should easily be able to find a '94-95 Deville IPC. It will have the chrome edging on the buttons. But it should work and have the PRND123 display feature. Some double checking with the service manual should be done to verify...See attached picture.

post-2-0-17519200-1344794683_thumb.jpg

Ha, good to know she is rare, not very beautiful, but rare :)

Cloth seats too.

You are correct too, the 96 cluster I picked up had the wrong connectors. It appears when they went to 96, the broke up the wires a bit more. Instead of 2 groups of cables, the 96 had 3.

That being said, I will check out the Service Manual to verify what I should be looking for next time I hit the parts yard. Thanks for all your info :)

definately sounds like an export model.

Extremely rare to see column shift with buckets and cloth seats.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived