CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Experiencing high RPM with sluggish acceleration & Tire recommendations/suggestions

EileenLaf

Hi....I could use some help/advice/suggestions. I'm the original owner of my 1998 Cadillac ETC & just hit 112,000 miles. While driving on the Parkway I ran over a bicycle laying in the middle of my lane, damaging both passenger side tires. I took my car to a Caddy dealership for new tires due to the emergent situation. Shortly after dropping off my car the Assistant Service Manager called to advise that my front motor mount was split/cracked & needed replacement in the very near future. After discussing this with my Dad, I decided to have the motor mount replaced while the car was already at the dealership. Yesterday, I picked up my car & when pulling out of the dealership onto the highway I heard the engine revving but the car felt extremely sluggish. I drove around testing acceleration & checking rpm at different speeds & from complete stops. It feels like the speed of the car is trying to catch up to the engine...high rpm with sluggish acceleration. In 14 yrs. I've never picked up my car after having it serviced/repaired & noticed or felt such a difference in how it ran when taking off from a complete stop or accelerating while driving. I went back to the dealer & drove around with a tech who kept telling me the car was running normal & shifting fine. I finally gave up because no matter what I said, he told me the car was fine & I started to feel like an idiot. In addition to the road test, the tech went through the codes while driving the car but said nothing was coming up. I had to leave the dealership for an appointment so never went back inside to speak with anyone else. Aside from the new motor mount, the only other change made to my car was the type of tires installed. I requested Goodyear RS-A but the tech recommended I get Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring for the higher treadwear & said the car would "ride" much better. After several conversations & many questions regarding both tires I took his advice & got the ComforTred Touring tires. I'll be going back to High Performance after 1 day of driving.

Before getting in touch with the dealership again, I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, could have happened to the car while being worked on at the dealership.

If anyone has suggestions for tires (other than Goodyear RS-A) I definitely welcome them.

On a side note, while going through General Cadillac Help & Discussion, Cadillac General Forums, I read a post that mentioned a wheel alignment report. The dealer performed a 4 wheel alignment on the car after installing the tires but never provided me with an alignment report. Is this something I should have received and/or should request from the dealer?

Thanks for any and all assistance that can be provided. If additional information is needed, please let me know.

Just in case... check your transmission fluid level/color when engine is idling at operating temperature. The accident could result in some wiring damage. It is strange you do not get any trouble codes.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

that could have been my thread. Regardless of whether you ask for the report or not they are supposed to give it to you. Somehow they lost mine and I was not happy. It shows you how the alignment was and how it is after the alignment.

See they could tell you they did all these adjustments and there could have been nothing done. How would you know? It could also go the other way. if there was an extreme alignment problem the report will point you to the corner with the extreme change

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Just in case... check your transmission fluid level/color when engine is idling at operating temperature. The accident could result in some wiring damage. It is strange you do not get any trouble codes.

Thanks for replying. Before hitting the bike, I was able to move far enough to the left so that only the passenger tires & possibly the wheel wells came into contact with the bike...damage was to tire sidewall & some outer edge tread pieces were ripped off. While the tech was performing a "Vehicle Safety Inspection" he found the split/cracked front motor mount . Prior to the call, I had no idea there was a problem with the motor mount. If the bike did cause wiring damage wouldn't the tech have found it during the safety inspection?

I think I've only had 2 or 3 trouble codes since buying my car...most recent were A/C Refrig Low & Check Coolant Level. I forget about trouble codes...I had the car towed to dealer b/c it wouldn't start. They replaced "shorted" battery (less than a yr old) & checked out the charging system - no problems found. I got a call from dealer telling me the serpentine & water pump belts were worn & needed to be replaced; the coolant reservoir had to be replaced & the coolant surge tank was cracked & had to be replaced. No trouble codes prior to any of these repairs.

Less than a year later car was towed to dealer for same problem - wouldn't start, completely dead. This time I the alternator burned out & wasn't charging so it had to be replaced. No trouble codes prior to repair. Within 3 days the Check Coolant Level code came on so back to dealer I went. Pressure & block tests were performed & they found radiator leaking. Car is kept in garage....no fluid on garage floor prior to tow 3 days earlier. 3 months later the A/C compressor had to be replaced b/c the front seal was leaking????

This is why I'm trying to find out what, if anything, could've happened while my car was in this time. Drove car today & at times it almost feels like it skips a gear between 1st & 3rd or 2nd & 4th....I don't know what's wrong but acceleration is definitely off & wasn't acting like this before taking car in (I drove car for almost 2 weeks after hitting bike).

• 3 weeks later...
that could have been my thread. Regardless of whether you ask for the report or not they are supposed to give it to you. Somehow they lost mine and I was not happy. It shows you how the alignment was and how it is after the alignment.

See they could tell you they did all these adjustments and there could have been nothing done. How would you know? It could also go the other way. if there was an extreme alignment problem the report will point you to the corner with the extreme change

Thanks "rockfangd" & yes, it was your thread. Sorry for the delay in replying to your post but I wanted to wait until I contacted the dealer. When first speaking with the asst service manager he said he would try to find my report, but couldn't guarantee they still had it (thought my experience would mimic yours). I told him they MUST have it because all repair/service records & reports are entered into the system & the data is then stored in each customer's "file". He spoke with the service tech, said they located my alignment report & he'd mail it to me. Below I've posted the report b/c to me it doesn't exactly look legit....my name isn't even on the report, let alone any other info?

4%20Wheel%20Alignment.jpg

To make things worse.....yesterday I receive a postcard from the dealer stating: During your recent service visit, our technicians identified the following maintenance or repair issues:

• Recommend transmission/transfer case service
  • Recommend alignment

I've no idea if the transmission/transfer case is in any way related to the problem I reported after picking my car up from the dealer (high rpm w/sluggish accel). But AN ALIGNMENT, are they serious?

Just out of curiosity, if there's a problem with the transmission/transfer case would a message come up on my DIC?

Thanks.

Archived