CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

We're going on a 2000 mi (round trip) vacation Colorado to California. We're wondering about this 98 Deville with 160,000 mi on it. Engine is doing fine (so far) we're wondering about the transmission which every so often the torque converter doesnt lock up when taking off from a red light for a second or two then locks and its ok. This doesnt happen very often. Do you think its wise to take this car that far.I dont know if it is a sensor thats not working properly or what. But it will cost me about $3000.00 to find out..(rebuilt transmission) Once it shifts into second it seems to run forever with no problem. It shifts good and is smooth other than that problem.

Your opinon would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

Well, sometimes when I'm at a full stop I can hear a whirring noise(when I step on the gas) and it takes maybe a second before it takes off at which time the whirring noise stops and all is well.Sometimes for a week and then when you least expect it there it is again for a couple of seconds. Thought it was torque converter but guess not.

When was the transmission fluid last changed??

3 weeks ago...They used synthetic..But it was doing this before the change. Changing fluid made no difference..

Check for codes. Check the fluid level. Does it feel like it is slipping on takeoff?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Check for codes. Check the fluid level. Does it feel like it is slipping on takeoff?

Yes its slipping on takeoff (sometimes) otherwise it seems to run perfect. Fluid changed and level ok. I'll check codes and let you know. The question is..... should I go on a 2000 mi trip with this car ??

Thanks

Don

not sure how to answer that. It could last for a long time or go tomorrow. It would seem to be a judgement call. The real question is what is causing the problem to occur

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived