CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Odd sound, and solution

As I pulled into the Church parking lot this morning I could hear an odd speed-related sound like one of the wheel-well covers touching the wheel, or something dragging. I carry plastic rivets in my pocket after the recent experiments just in case.

I gingerly looked under the car, but didn't see anything rubbing, touching, hitting, loose, or hanging.

Same sound continued -- seemed to be related to wheel rotation, and happened at low speed, not just at high speed (so not wind related).

I took the day off to rest so no car work allowed, or at least not til after dinner. I did sneak out and rinse the V off, and take the dog for a car ride.

At dinner I repeated the visual inspection while we waited for our order.

My Son's advice, which proved to be good, was 'reboot'.

"Huh?"

"Well, you always say the first thing to try on the router or the pc is reboot, so..."

After dinner and dog walking I went to loosen the lugnuts and put the V up on the floor jack. The lug nuts were already loose (ah). Put the car up, and looked behind the driver wheel and nothing touching or rubbing on the wheel or suspension. Cleaned the threads off the bolts and carefully remounted the wheel, slowly torquing in an expanded star pattern as I moved around the circle of 6 lugs. Off the jack and test drive, and no sound remaining.

Tightened the passenger side as well.

My conclusion is that I didn't seat the wheel flush against the hub, and then didn't torque the nuts tight enough to seat it either. Perhaps the V was not far enough in the air to allow the wheel to seat?

I guess this belong in embarrassing self-inflicted problems, but we don't have a section for those.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

LOL.... in one of my other forums, we have a section titled... "Show Us Your FAIL".... LOL

We have all done things like that.. at least I know "I" have... more times than I want to admit to. :)

Posted Image

Archived