CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

suspension making weird noises

95concours

My front end has started to make some strange noises, when I go over a slight rise you here a groaning noise from the right side when the suspension travels down and back up. Also when I accerate hard onto the highway or uphill or sometimes while turning from stop there is a terrible vibrating clanking aweful noise that I think is possibly a loose heat sheild. The last time I brought it to the dealer when it wasn't to bad and only did this occasionally they claimed they couldn't find anything wrong or hear it when they test drove it. Any one have any idea what this groaning noise could be? I just hope I don't have to replace the front struts. Of course I know Brogan Cadillac will immediatly tell me I need new struts, I hate these bastards anyone else in northern new jersey know of a better cadillac dealer who is more honest and competent?

Also when I accerate hard onto the highway or uphill or sometimes while turning from stop there is a terrible vibrating clanking aweful noise that I think is possibly a loose heat sheild. The last time I brought it to the dealer when it wasn't to bad and only did this occasionally they claimed they couldn't find anything wrong or hear it when they test drove it. Any one have any idea what this groaning noise could be?

Let an assistant lift the car with a hoist and power brake it carefully. You watch the exhaust lines (pipes, cat converter, mufflet etc.) Power braking makes the engine and the exhaust system move back and some parts may touch the body of the car and make terrible scary ratcheting noise amplified by the car. My car did the same thing for two years. I nspected the ehaust many times but did not find anything what would touch the body. Finally bbobynski recommended powerbraking and I have seen the source of noise immediately. It was a bracket passing under exhaust line with some 1/2 an inch clearance. But when a fried of mine power braked the car I saw all exhaust sytem moving back and touching the bracket for a few seconds because of inertia. I pried the bracket a little bit and never heard the noise again.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Perhaps some motor mounts went south and the engine and the exhaust system connected to the latter gaine an extra "flexibility" and get close to some parts of the underbody during acceleration. Check out the mounts.

HI 95

When I had vibration up front, it happened when I was increasing speed going up hill. It was the CV-joints. The problem is to figure out which one. My mechanic

put the car on the hoist and spun the wheels. he picked the right one. The groaning

noise could be a front hub bearing. Let us know what you find.

Runar

The easiest way to diagnose a bad hub bearing is making "S" . If it is a bad bearing the noise will increase while turning in one direction and decrease in oposite direction. But it has nothing to do with bumps. Looks like you may have several problems at the same time. Not a big deal.

I tried power braking the car but I didn't hear the noise, I didn't have an assistant so I couldn't lift the car to take a look, but when I drive it the noise is only present at the top of each gear. As for the groaning noise it is def coming from something on the right front side.

As for the groaning noise it is def coming from something on the right front side.

Let's isolate the source of the groaring noise. Did you make some

"S" to see whether the noise change depending on the direction of the turns? This test is for bad wheel bearings.

My front end has started to make some strange noises, when I go over a slight rise you here a groaning noise from the right side when the suspension travels down and back up.

How fast are you going when you say "over a slight rise"? Do you only notice it at slow speeds or at every speed? When you turn and/or traveling straight? As much detailed information as you can offer will help.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

That's exactly what my Seville does. The groaning/moaning during suspension movement is the strut mounts. Very common for these to fail on these cars for some reason. Mine aren't even original. They've been replaced, at the dealer, before. The clunking/shuddering when turning is either the strut mounts (kill two birds with one stone) or the steering rack itself. I've seen people say both -- that the steering shuddering was fixed when they did the strut mounts...or that the steering shuddering was fixed with a new rack. I plan to do the mounts first on my car (it'll be a while) and if that still doesn't fix it...possibly replace or rebuild the rack. What a pain in the butt that's going to be!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I had the groaning suspension thing as well. Awful sound isn't it? I ended up replacing both upper strut mounts but the joke was on me. The cause of the groaning (or was that me groaning?) was one of the ride sensors. The sensor was sticking and wasn't moving side to side or up and down. It was a quick fix. Popped off the sensor, worked the two ends in and out to free it and cleaned and lubed the ball and socket joints and popped it back on. However, I would definitely check the strut mounts like Jason suggested. You might want to pop the hood and remove the caps that allow you to access the upper strut towers. Make sure they're centered by comparing both sides.

My future fix is a ball joint I believe. I get a clunking now and then that dissappears everytime the zerks are refilled with lube. She's quiet for about 3 weeks and then the clunking comes back gradually.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The noise def doesn't change when doing S's and basically the groaning noise is always present. The intensity of depends on how much the suspension moves up and down. It is the most disturbing when I pull in and out of the parking lot at work because the parking lot's surface is very uneven. It seems to be louder the slower I go, but that might just be because of road noise at higher speeds.

The weird rattling clanking noise is almost always heard when I'm trying to make a turn from stop going up hill and almost always at the top of each gear when accerating hard.

I certainly hope this all is being caused by the strut mounts and not the steering rack. I look at everything you guys suggested and report back with what I find. Also how much would it cost me about to have the strut mounts replaced?

Sounds like hub-bearing assemblies are fine. You still need a good mechanic to look at it while on a hoist.

My Caddy still has "Brogan" on it. I guess it was bought from Brogan (Rout 46) by the first owner. Can't help you with advise - never delt with dealers.

If I remember correctly the upper strut mounts (both sides) were in the ball park of $400-500 (parts and labor included). If you end up doing these make sure they order the upper bushing. Apparently those are a seperate order piece. But I would have your car lifted and checked out before getting into that kind of expense. That's a lot of beer money. :lol:

"Burns" rubber

The cause of the groaning (or was that me groaning?) was one of the ride sensors. The sensor was sticking and wasn't moving side to side or up and down. It was a quick fix. Popped off the sensor, worked the two ends in and out to free it and cleaned and lubed the ball and socket joints and popped it back on.

Oooh -- I've never heard of that before. That's something I'll check on mine! That'd be a heckuva lot cheaper than replacing the strut mounts. Wowzers!

Thanks,

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Heh.... yeah Jason it was $500 to get to that free fix but I guess I won't be needing upper strut mounts for awhile :blink:. I'm still trying to laugh that episode off. :ph34r:

"Burns" rubber

As per kger2's suggestion I popped the caps off the upper strut towers and they do look to be centered, but if I push down on the right side of the car the strut seems to move more than the left side does. I haven't looked that the ride sensor yet but I will try to do that later when I have some more time.

Archived