CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"CODE OF DEATH"

98eldocoupe

Is how the serviceman at the dealership described PCM P0741 (TCC SYSTEM STUCK OFF (Torque converter clutch) ). 98Eldo-coupe w/50,000 miles. In July this year had a “Service Engine Soon” light come on and this was the code. Their diagnosis and repair at that time, “Exercise TCC solenoid- Intermittently sticking-if P0741 recodes-trans disassembly and/or overhaul will be needed-Tech reports no danger operating car with P0741 code.”

Code just reappeared this weekend on highway driving. No other codes reports

I’ve searched the board both old and new and found this by “david” http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...id=caddymb-8926

and I will try this road test.

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...d=caddymb-12286

another recent thread.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...orque+converter

My question is this, If the TCC checks out ok with the driving test, can I myself clear the code and see if it returns later? If so how to do this, remove the negative from the battery, will that clear all codes and reset? If of course the driving test does not pass, I guess my option is the $1000-1200 repair as discussed on the July visit.

I was getting the same code once a week, factory manual said to change fluid and clean the filter, now I get it every other month. Ijust reset the code in the DIC and keep on gettin it!

PS mine has 155000 on it

Good luck, Joe

Looks like your RPM drops to low when hot. It MIGHT be wrong ISC motor, minimum air, TPS sensor position adjustment. Pay attention to RPM right before the engine stalls . It should not be less than 550 for an old car like yours.On my car I just depress Eng Data several times to get RPM. I am not sure it is the same on your car , but you should be able to get RPM somehow. Simple minimum air screw adjustment could solve the problem.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Looks like your RPM drops to low when hot. It MIGHT be wrong ISC motor, minimum air, TPS sensor position adjustment.  Pay attention to RPM right before the engine stalls . It should not be less than 550 for an old car like yours.On my car I just depress Eng Data several times to get RPM. I am not sure it is the same on your car , but you should be able to get RPM somehow. Simple minimum air screw adjustment could solve the problem.

Wrong post by chance?

Charles

Looks like the TCC checks out ok while performing the driving test. stsjoe, I've emailed you about how you clear the code via the DIC. what steps do you take? What do I do after the PCM? Will this also shut off the "service engine soon" light. I want to clear the code and drive it around to see if it happens again. Please answer here or email detailed procedure to joehaig@hotmail.com

thanks

Archived