CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OE tires?

nitrous1

I need to put new tires on my STS, and I been looking around a little to find something I like. According to my option code list, my car has the QVF option (Z speed rating), but I can't find anyone who makes a 225/60/16 in a Z speed rating.

What did Cadillac use on these cars when they were new?

I currently have Goodyear Eagle RS-A with a H speed rating and I really don't have any complaints about them. I've put 35,000 miles on them since I bought the car, and I have no idea how long they were on the car before I bought it.

I'm currently leaning toward the BFGoodrich Traction T/A, but some of the Michelin products look pretty good as well. I was going to have my local Sam's Club order a set of Traction T/A's, but they will not mount anything other than a Z-rated tire, since that is what the car is supposed to have on it (something to do with insurance regulations).

nitrous1

Michelin is a french owned company. Buy any brand you like; however, the French government has done a lot to hurt our country so buying Michelin tires is supporting them and there economy. Some will tell you that Michelin is made here, which they are but the profits still go to France. Buy Goodyear for example, and all the money stays in the USA and none goes to France. Down with France!!

Nitrous,

The speed rating system has changed a bit over the years simply because the top end speed of cars has changed. Instead of going into my version of the rating system (call me lazy) I'll post a link to tirerack.com and their explaination. Scroll down the page and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/speed.jsp

I wasn't born here but I'm a citizen and live here and I feel what burekv is saying. I try to buy local when ever I can. It's the right thing to do on so many levels. All politics aside, there are many tires out there that you would be happy with. Some are a better value then others and some are just plain over priced. Let us know what you settle on.

Regards,

kg

I have Dunlops (spring, summer, fall) and Coopers (winter).

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Michelin is a french owned company. Buy any brand you like; however, the French government has done a lot to hurt our country so buying Michelin tires is supporting them and there economy. Some will tell you that Michelin is made here, which they are but the profits still go to France. Buy Goodyear for example, and all the money stays in the USA and none goes to France. Down with France!!

I didn't realize that Michelin was a French owned company. Thanks for the info.

Some will tell you that Michelin is made here, which they are but the profits still go to France. Buy Goodyear for example, and all the money stays in the USA and none goes to France. Down with France!!

The economy today is so global, that argument doesn't work anymore. Michelin has invested billions of dollars into our economy in facilities, training, jobs, production, transportation, etc. Much from the sale of tires goes back into our economy, through reinvestment of capital by Michelin, and through our American workers working at a Michelin plant, and spending their wages at our stores and restaurants. Buy the brand you want for sure, but don't discount a quality tire simply because the parent company doesn't happen to reside in this country. You'd go bazerk at how much of your money travels around the world anyway...don't beat yourself up or waste time trying to put your money in one place and keep it from another because it's all one big mixing bowl anyway.

By boycotting a Michelin tire (for example), you're hurting most the factory worker in Greeneville, SC (or in any of their other numerous production facilities in the 'States). Isn't it ironic -- we bashing the French -- that we drive cars that bear the name of a French militia commander.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I was going to have my local Sam's Club order a set of Traction T/A's, but they will not mount anything other than a Z-rated tire, since that is what the car is supposed to have on it (something to do with insurance regulations).

This whole issue was discussed on this board in the recent past. The upshot was that there are some tire retailers who will not mount non-Z-rated tires on Z-rated cars for liability reasons but there are also many who will. If you look around, I think you'll find a tire store that will mount the tire of your choice on your car and do it for a competitive price.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

unless your planing on going 149 MPH, i dont think its nessassary for Z rated tires... but then again most performance tires are already Z rated. pilots are nice but they have almost no snow traction. i have symetrys, i like em. my next tires are going to be the Pirelii PZero Nero. there bad! (bad=GOOD)

Without jumping into the tire manufacturer's nationality fray, I'll point out that, according to a poll started 9/27/04, nearly 40% of our members have Michelin tires on their Cadillacs.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

The first pneumatic (air-filled) tire for automobiles was produced in France by Andre' (1853-1937) and Edouard Michelin (1859-1940) in 1885. the first radial-ply tire, the Michelin X, was made and sold in 1948. In radial construction, layers of cord materials called plies are laid across the circumference of the tire from bead to bead (perpendicular to the direction of the tread centerline). The plies can be made of steel wires or belts that circle the tire. Radial tires are said to give longer tread life, better handling, and a softer ride at medium and high speeds than bias or belted bias tires (both of which have plies laid diagonally). Radial give a firm, almost hard, ride at low speeds.

something i just read that happens to have something to do with this topic, maybe not, but its interesting! man this is a lot of typing! :o

I like Goodyear. And I'd get "H" rated tires for your STS. How often do you plan on driving for extende periods over 139mph (the "H" speed rating max)? Again - that's EXTENDED periods over 139mph. The Z-rated tires are too soft for any kind of mileage. I like the Eagle RS-A.

~Doc

I like Goodyear. And I'd get "H" rated tires for your STS. How often do you plan on driving for extende periods over 139mph (the "H" speed rating max)? Again - that's EXTENDED periods over 139mph. The Z-rated tires are too soft for any kind of mileage. I like the Eagle RS-A.

~Doc

I've decided to go with a set of BFGoodrich Traction T/A's with the H speed rating. I never planned on putting a set of Z-rated tires on the car - I do not drive any where over 139 MPH. :)

I was considering Eagle RS-A's at one time - that is what is currently on the car and I really don't have too many complaints, but they seem to be lacking a little in rain and snow traction. I hope then Traction T/A's do better - the tread pattern seems to be quite agressive in displacing water.

Archived