CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 DeVille Starting In Second, TC Button Inop.

I'm having a bit of trouble fixing my Cadillac. The car hasn't been in first gear since I bought it, except for a few minutes over the last two days.

A few weeks ago I checked the codes and there were a couple of traction control codes listed, one current and one historical. The historical code was TC0027, which is left front speed sensor continuity. The current code was TC0033, right rear speed sensor continuity. I cleared the codes and TC0033 stayed current, so I made plans to replace the right rear hub/speed sensor.

Saturday I started tearing town the car to replace the right rear hub and noticed that the speed sensor was unplugged, so I cleaned the contacts, plugged it back in, reset the computer and took it for a ride. Problem solved! Well, one problem solved. After feeling first gear and being able to switch the traction control off and on it disabled itself again and threw TC0027 and TC0025, a new one that means left front speed sensor fault. So, I take the rear hub assembly back and exchange it for a front one.

Sunday morning I got up all excited and replaced the left front hub/speed sensor, reset the codes and took it for a drive. Fixed!.... for about 3 minutes. I came back home and checked for codes, but none were showing up, yet the traction control was disabled. I reset the computer again and now it shows a TC0027 again.

Where I do I go from here?

have you tried disconnecting the battery? when you do clean the contacts well. then try it again.

Welcome to Caddyinfo

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

OK, I unhooked the battery for a while and cleaned the already pretty clean terminals for good measure. After hooking the battery back up I checked codes again and found these:

PC0063 Historical

IP1552 Historical

TC0027 Historical

IR2255 Historical

I have no idea why these would immediately show up, except for maybe TC0027 as it was current yesterday. So, I reset the computer and checked codes to find that TC0027 was again current. I reset the computer again and now there are no codes, historic or current. After a 10 minute drive around the neighborhood the traction control, the traction control button and first gear now work. We'll see how long it works properly.

If the TC0027 code comes back, the first thing I would do is check out the wiring and the connector at the left front wheel hub. The wires and connectors for the speed sensors are located in an area that sees a lot of road debris and water, and as such, it could just be a dirty or poor connection. When it comes to any code related to an electrical/sensor issue, my first move is to check the wiring and the connectors before throwing parts at it. Sometimes that's all it is and saves you a lot of money.

I had a wheel speed sensor on my Caddy that would intermittently throw a code when it was wet out (rain, high humidity). While replacing the brakes I noticed that the speed sensor connector had a crack in the plastic, allowing moisture into the wiring. I was fortunate enough to be able to just unplug it without losing first gear. Your model year does not leave you that option, but a new connector is much cheaper than a new hub.

big4870885.jpg

could also be a bad connectin at the ABS module, located nearthe driver side cooling fan mounted to the subframe. Sometimes they do get moisture in the plug and messes things up

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived