CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Please use the right grease when replacing brakes

epricedright

Well I did the rears again using silicone grease...feel much better now. :D Good thing I did as the RR was seized where the sleeve slides into the bigger rubber boot. That hi-temp grease almost melts the rubber...fun to get off. But I did it and I'm finally done. Now I need to do my Toyota fronts. Well I'm off to Costco to pick up a set of Michelins that are on sale to go on my new rims I got from Cardio-doc. Can't wait to see how they look on.

Can't call it, can't kill it, it won't die!

I agree, great post growe3...if only you'd made it 2 days ago!  :(

I'd add to that post to apply grease to the inside of the bushing...per the caddy manual.  Either way though just as long as you get grease in there and work the bolt and sleeve back & forth inside the bushing to grease it well...then wipe off the excess grease.

So do you think I should take off the grease I applied to the back of the front pads?  I only put a very small amount on them where it came in contact with the caliper.  A Pepboys service advisor advised me on doing that.  I didn't put in on the rears.  I'm getting ready to do some chewing at Pepboys! :angry:

If you only put a small amount on, I would not worry to much. If/when it migrates to the brake pad it will get burned off fairly quickly. If you put a nice generous coating, I would remove the brake pads and wipe it off.

Applying silicone grease to the inside of the bushing is a good idea. I use a slim screwdriver to get in there. After putting the pin in and working it back and borth, wipe off any excess grease, so it cannot migrate to the brake pads.

Any grease that is not between moving parts, is just wasted and can cause a problem.

-George

I remember a post by Ian - who works in a GM dealership - he said that the silicone grease was the best stuff to apply on the back side of the pads to prevent brake squeal.

He also stated it worked far better than the anti-squeal membrane.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I am a little puzzled by any need to lubricate the back of a brake pad.

I have a 1975 C20 Suburban, two 93' STS's, had a 84 Mitsubishi Tredia which all have/had disk brakes. I have never had any noise or squeal from a brake pad, unless it has worn to the metal or wear indicator on the brake pad.

I do all of my own repairs and so I know these vehicles very well, I also have worked on a few hundred other cars over the years, in all I have never come across a squeal or noise caused by the un-lubricated back of a brake pad.

Any chattering,sqealing, screeching noise was usually caused by extremely worn pads and/or sloppy worn out pin bushings.

My personal opinion based on my years of car and truck repair experience, is this noise that supposedly emanates because the back of brake pads are not lubed is far fetched, at best. I would not waste the time or engage the risk, of grease migrating to the brake pads doing this.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Talking about grease... I don't know if it has something to do with other' stories, but I gonna tell you what happened with me (or my car?) couple years ago...

I went to the repair shop to get inspection and the guy told me I need to change front brake pads (and better to polish rotors also). He did that of course (something around $180 include $36 inspection). Couple days after that I hit a NJ turnpike to get to my sisters'. There was a huge traffic, like couple hours of stop-n-drive. I switched from track-bus to cars road when I saw a possibility and hit a gas pedal, cause cars were far a head of me. In a couple seconds I noticed that cars ahead getting close too fast and I hit a brake. I was driving something around 90mph. After I hit a brake the car slows down pretty bad. I still made a stop (traffic again), but that was kinda scary. I noticed white smoke from front left wheel area when I almost stopped. I had a filling that my left front wheel has no brakes at all. I sit around 20 min, then start to drive checking brakes. It was like fine again. I don't know what happened, but when I got to mechanic, he checks the brakes and told me that possible a bit of grease got on the rotor. I think that's happened because brakes got very hot in traffic stop and drive. That never happends again though.

If the pads are loose in the calipers, they can resonate and squeal. Most FWD cars use spring retainers on the outboard pads.

My RWD Fleetwood does not have the retainer springs on the outboard pads. The service manual says to clinch the outer pad to the caliper. Basically, you bend a tab on the brake pad to fasten the outer pad to te caliper.

Even with the pads clinched, I still got the squeal - I applied some anti-squeal compound and it lasted for a few days before the annoying squeal came back. I discovered Ian's post on using the silicone grease and tried it. The squeal was gone.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The only time I ever had a squeal problem was with two different Chevy S10 Blazers. Every time I replaced the front brakes they squealed. Maybe it was the Wagner pads I was using but nothing and I mean nothing would stop it. Anything I put on the back of the pads burned off. I can't imagine any grease not burning off after a few brake applications.

Archived