CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bruce's 2004 CTS 3.6L

Bruce Nunnally

2004 CTS 3.6L Auto

Light Platinum/Light Neutral

December, 2003 -- Manufactured

January 9, 2004 --Overnight Test drive

January 10, 2004 -- Purchased new from Massey Cadillac

February 10, 2004 -- No problems to report.

Reprogrammed steering button 1 to be traction control on/off

Reprogrammed display key upper right to be Equalizer; Just discovered that the radio station programs also remember the last Equalizer setting for each station, so that I can keep the Equalizer set for Talk on the Talk stations, Rock on the Rock stations, etc. Very nice feature.

Ran some 0-60 mph acceleration numbers for the CTS best 0-60 mph time: 6.26s in the cold.

Current miles: ~1000

The purpose of this section is to allow Subscribing or Contributing Members to post topics about their Cadillacs -- ongoing journals about the car maintenance, enjoyment, performance, or modifications. This is a benefit of contributing to the site. Only Subscribing or Contributing Members can by rule post new Topics in this section. Any member can reply to a post in this section.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The features the radio has sounds cool. I hate re adjusting the equilizer.

But what is really cool is the emblem on the steering wheel! I gotta have one of those! And I notice the cup holders look easy to use and funtional. Being offset like that, easy to "feel" for MY cup! I'm paranoid of germs! I have Trac control on both my Caddy's, In Ohio here we have lots of slippery surfaces, I'm just kinda wondering why you would want to turn off the traction control? Is it that terrible buzzing sound it makes? Or just that where you live not all that much need for it. MC

I have not done any testing, but in theory on a clean dry surface the car will launch more quickly without traction control than with.

Bruce

I have not done any testing, but in theory on a clean dry surface the car will launch more quickly without traction control than with.

Yea, My 95 don't have an on off, 96 does, today the 95 was kicking in in the snow I admit I was wishing I could turn it off. (And just peal!) I hate the noise it makes when it kicks in. I wonder why the decided all of a sudden that it needs a on off button? Maybe Bobbynsky knows?

hmm, I see this info on another forum, but does not appear to work with my 2004 CTS 3.6L non-nav system, car off, battery on:

Reading/Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For 2003/4 CTS with Navigation System:

Press simulatneously the BAND button and bottom NAV button on the left side of the LCD and release. All instrument cluster and HVAC control lights will flash momentarily, then go off, and then a menu will appear on the LCD to read and clear DTCs.

For 2003/4 CTS non Navigation System:

Press and hold the F1 and F6 buttons simultaneously; the Driver Infomation Center (DIC) will clear and a menu will appear to read and clear DTCs. (Need to confirm this method)

Perhaps it works with the 3.2L cars?

Bruce

hmm, I see this info on another forum, but does not appear to work with my 2004 CTS 3.6L non-nav system, car off, battery on:
Reading/Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For 2003/4 CTS with Navigation System:

Press simulatneously the BAND button and bottom NAV button on the left side of the LCD and release. All instrument cluster and HVAC control lights will flash momentarily, then go off, and then a menu will appear on the LCD to read and clear DTCs.

For 2003/4 CTS non Navigation System:

Press and hold the F1 and F6 buttons simultaneously; the Driver Infomation Center (DIC) will clear and a menu will appear to read and clear DTCs. (Need to confirm this method)

Perhaps it works with the 3.2L cars?

I also tried to access this data with no success.

Great site, BTW.

1 month, 1000 mile report -- still no problems whatsoever with my new 2004 CTS.

On my last mixed metro gas stop I was at 17.8 mpg, about 3 mpg better than the 14-15 mph I usually got with my 96 STS. Still waiting on a highway trip to see how the 3.6L V6 does. I suspect that staying with the 16" wheels/rubber was a good choice for acceleration and mileage though.

Still no snow or ice here in Texas, but no problems at all on slick streets so far.

Usually it gets garaged, but after one stay out on the drive I found that the CTS warms up the internal air very fast, and clears the front and rear glass quickly. The dual-zone climate control allows any temp setting for the passenger; my 96 STS only allowed +-4 degrees from the driver setting.

The trunk is larger than it looks from the outside on the CTS. My Wife was changing work locations, and we filled up her SUV then the trunk and back seat of the CTS. It holds plenty of stuff.

Found an unused garage door opener, left over from my Wife's previous car, since her Mountaineer has a homelink standard. Homelink should be standard equipment on the CTS IMHO.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Also got a nice note from Mark LeNeve at Cadillac thanking me for buying a new car. So that makes a box of cookies and numerous check-in calls from the Dealer, a call from the Lansing Grand River Factory, and a note from the head of Cadillac. They certainly seem concerned about quality and buyer perceptions.

Still looking for my Vision magazines to start. Vision is an in-house Cadillac magazine that you can only get a subscription to by buying a new Cadillac.

Bruce

I see your post just fine; let me know if you have a problem, by email to info@caddyinfo.com if needed.

Bruce

First road trip with the 2004 CTS. Great road car, fun trip. Averaged 26.5 mpg on the highway in the CTS on a route my 96 STS would average 21-22 mpg.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Corsa finally has their website updated with the new 3.6L cat-back system; looks sharp to me.

CTS04Sysm.jpgCTS04sm.jpg

Now I just need to get the money sorted out :rolleyes: $940 ouch. I waited for a long time on the 96 STS system to be released (still has not been) though so I want to take advantage of the fact that they offer a performance system for the CTS!

Odd that they are charging $49 for the template to modify the rear valence; seems like that would be a fine piece of plastic to include in the kit for free to me.

For the 3.6L Corsa suggests 14 hp and 18 lb-ft of torque are freed up.

Official GM Licensed Product

Custom Designed and Tuned For Each Vehicle Application

All Stainless Steel Components

Straight Through Nonrestrictive Design Increases Horsepower

Hand Crafted in the USA

Limited Lifetime Warranty

HP & Torque: 14 HP/ 18 ft lbs Torque

Bruce

Ordered one of these to test on my CTS yesterday; probably take a week or two to arrive:

63-1091.jpg

My plan based on my air filter test is to do 2 test runs stock, then 2 runs with the new aircharger to compare.

Bruce

Took the CTS over to the Dealer for an oil change at 3,067 miles. Still early for the required oil change per the OLI, but I had a dealer coupon for a free oil change at 3k/3mo, so I figured it could not hurt.

Arrived at 7:35 am for their 8 am open, 4th in line for service. Out around 9 am. Stopped in and visited for a sec with my salesman, looked at the new cars on the lot, enjoyed the morning air. Service personnel were nice & courteous, environment was nice, no problems. Car washed & dried, tires shined up and all on delivery.

I do like the new body-colored bezels on the CTS/CTS-V. Massey Cadillac has 2 CTS-V's that I saw in stock, one Light Platinum/Light Neutral (like my CTS) and one on the showroom floor Light Platinum/Black interior. http://www.masseycadillacdallas.com

Checking their online inventory looks like they have 3 in stock; go figure.

The CTS-V has the same manual gas cap cover as the CTS. The front mesh grill looks great. Love the brake calipers with logo, and the rear/exhaust look, which improves on the 04 CTS cutouts. Huge brake rotors.

Surprised to see that some of their 2004 Deville/DTS brake rotors look like they had rusted surfaces. The side trim or door guards along the side of the Devilles look much more stylized and integrated into the body molding; I think it looks very nice.

Bruce

• 3 months later...

After another roadtrip, ran 25.x mpg on the highway in the summer at 75 mph, mixed with some 2 lane at 65 mph.

Bruce

• 8 months later...

Bruce,

I just wanted to check in and see how your CTS has been performing. I am coming to a crossroads with my 99 Concours as the warranty will be up in May and I don't have a good feeling about the future of this car. Don't get me wrong, I love the car (way it looks, engine power, comfort, etc...) but I have had a bad history with this one and I may need to trade up.

Have you had any trouble with your CTS? From what I have seen and read, they seem to be great cars. I am just not sure about whether or not to downsize quite so much. One other model that has caught my eye is the Toyota 4Runner - I know we can't compare apples to oranges, but I am trying to find a way to stay with Cadillac and pick one of the more "reliable" and affordable models.

I would appreciate any insight you might have.

Hope all is well,

Brad

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

My experience with my 04 CTS I would characterize as terrific. It has not been back to the dealer in 14 months of ownership. It has turned out to be a great car, with plenty of power, and gets better mileage than my STSs did.

I did get a recall notice last week for a PCM recalibration, but I have not taken it in for that yet.

Seems to be a very good time to buy a CTS; I also got a note from a local dealer that they are offerring some very good deals on 05s. Don't think the numbers work on trading in my car, but one of my friends did trade in his wife's year-old 04 CTS for an 05 CTS and somehow managed to keep the same payments. I'll stop by the dealer and listen to them, and get my free umbrella incentive, and see if I won the big-screen TV, but as I say I don't think the numbers work to trade on a new one.

On their website I also see $15K off 2004 SRXs or $8K off 04 CTS-V's.

Bruce

Thanks for the info Bruce. Glad to hear that about the CTS, I even saw that Consumer Reports recommends the car as well. If I decide to do something, it will probably be in the used category as I have done before. I don't think I can swing a new one.

Needless to say, my Concours has been back to the dealer more times than I can count and my service records are now requiring a binder to keep them all together!!!

And to think that the salesman all those years ago tried to get me NOT to go with the extended factory warranty! Glad I didn't listen to him. :D

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived