CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blog Post: Improving a tenth at a time…

100F out today here in Texas, but testing must go on.  Mostly because inquiring minds want to know and my interest is piqued about how this could be simpler and yet any more subtle in execution. And the table with comparison to last best run: Today’s Test Rollout Previous Test Speed (mph) Time(s) Dist(f) [...]

View the full Blog Post

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My experience with a wide variety of cars, including my 1997 ETC, is that the best low-gear performance is obtained through a ramping up of throttle. The ramp-up speed depends on a lot of variables - air temperature, engine temperature, tires and pressure, road surface, quality of gas in the car right then, etc. so a sensitive road feel is important for feedback. It becomes a skill, slowly developed for me because I never made a point of it, or did it often.

In my current car, doing that gets a lot of saucer eyes. People are startled because no one sees an old, shiny Cadillac leap with that kind of alacrity, people around here have no idea what an ETC is, and my unique exhaust system lets out a vintage-aircraft roar when the RPM hits 4500 at full throttle. But it sure gets you to 45 mph real quick.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I think with the supercharged 4.4L V8 the high torque available at relatively low rpm and thus low speed adds to the challenge. I remember Al writing that the design was intended to allow anyone to just punch the throttle and get great acceleration times. Now, I allow that the times I am seeing are terrific and under relatively bad conditions, but I would like to wring out that last 0.4s lol. The answer may be to simply wait for cool weather, but learning more about the characteristics of the car you drive always helps.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived