CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Please anyone have any idea why my 2006 CTS sounds like a motorcycle? I just put 4 new Yokohama yk520 on the car and still very loud. I recently had spark plugs replaced and spent 2200.00 on timing chain. Im just soooo frustrated. I thought it was tire noise but now just not sure. If I put my car in park and rev the engine the engine sounds fine. But when I drive it sounds like a motorcycle. Please any suggestions?

Have your mechanic check for an exhaust leak. Exhaust gases flow from the engine bay through a resonator back to twin mufflers. If one of the pipes has been punctured or broken then the exhaust escapes at that point and the sound is no longer muffled.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Please anyone have any idea why my 2006 CTS sounds like a motorcycle? I just put 4 new Yokohama yk520 on the car and still very loud. I recently had spark plugs replaced and spent 2200.00 on timing chain. Im just soooo frustrated. I thought it was tire noise but now just not sure. If I put my car in park and rev the engine the engine sounds fine. But when I drive it sounds like a motorcycle. Please any suggestions?

The 06 could possibly still be under warranty, has your warranty run out? Are you the first owner?

Who fixed the timing chain?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Have your mechanic check for an exhaust leak. Exhaust gases flow from the engine bay through a resonator back to twin mufflers. If one of the pipes has been punctured or broken then the exhaust escapes at that point and the sound is no longer muffled.

That definitely sounds like a logical point. I will have that checked. I had Sewell Cadillac dealer here in Houston fix the timing chain problem, which apparently was a problem with some of the 2007's and Caddie covered the cost on them but they would not cover my cost ont he 06. That was a $$ 2300 job. Also replaced the spark plugs and related work back in January. Getting expensive. So ok will check the exhaust. I wish Cad dealer would of noticed the exhaust problem as they were suppose to fully check out the car and did inform me of other more minor things they wanted to do. Oh well, back to the dealer. Thanks for the advice.

The 06 could possibly still be under warranty, has your warranty run out? Are you the first owner?

I am the orginal owner and it is no longer under warranty. The timimg chain was fixed by Sewell Cadillac here in Houston with a 1 year warranty. So hope that is good. Was $2200.00 worth of work!!

Could something have happened to the timing chain repair? I take it that after the timing chain repair the car was not making any motorcycle sound and it was only after driving it for a while after the timing chain repair that the sound began? Maybe something happened to the timing chain tensioner which is causing the noise? If it's not an exhaust leak, you may want to buy a mechanics stethoscope, which you can buy at PepBoys for under $20, and see if you can hear anything coming from the engine, especially as close to the timing chain area as possible.

Archived