CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Likely taking my 93 STS to the scapyard

Chris

Hi Guys,

A couple weeks back I bought a 2002 SLS with approx 97,000km on it. I'm currently driving a 1993 STS with just over 292,000km.

The STS is in good running condition, cosmetically its not too bad.

Now that I have the new car, I'm trying to get rid of the old one. I listed it on Kijiji at $1000 ("would take $800") as-is but no takers. It seems that people are afraid of what costs they may incur to safety and e-test it.

I called the scap yard and they will pay $430 for my STS and let me keep the wheels (with Blizzaks in good condition). I'm thinking that if I don't sell in the next week or so, this would be my best bet. If this is the case, I have a few questions:

1. Will my STS tire and rims (225/60R16) fit on my SLS (235/60R16) and be ok for use in the winter?
  2. Is there anything in particular worth stripping off the old car that may be of use to me in the future, or something I could sell? (I'm thinking headlight bulbs, fuses/breakers, some badges as momentos, possibly resell grill?)
  3. Is there anything that you might want off my car that is easily accessible (Diamond white with tan interior)?

Unfortunately where I live, I don't have a garage or easy access to tools. I would need to drive my STS to the scrap yard so I couldn't remove items critical to the normal operation of the car until I get it there!

I'd be really sad to scrap the car before it hits 300k, but it looks like things might work out that way.

Thanks for any advice!

-Chris

My 94 STS doesn't have any rust at all up top, down below,inside,outside, aything. It has always been oiled anually....Ontario winters are hard on cars.

look1-1-1.jpg

Scott's right, its not a perfect car, but it runs well and hasnt left me stranded in the past 9 years (except once just after I got it due to a faulty PRND switch!).

It has 2 small dots of rust which developed in the last year, and although the hood has been bubbled since I got it, it has just started to look awful in the last year. Which coincides with me moving to the Toronto area (lots of brine solution AND a heated garage to accelerate corrosion!).

Do you guys have any suggestions for useful parts I might remove that I haven't mentioned in my original post?

-Chris

darn. I know of more than one person locally that would love to purchase it. I would consider partting or scrapping it a last resort. can you possibly post some pics

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Wonder why the car only lasted 19 years and 290000 - I guess GM doesn't know how to build cars. :)

Seriously, I am curious what engine it had, and if you know of any serious issues prior to you purchasing the car. I hope I get that mileage out of my car. - at the rate I'm going it will be 40.18 years before I get there.

Wonder why the car only lasted 19 years and 290000 - I guess GM doesn't know how to build cars. :)

Seriously, I am curious what engine it had, and if you know of any serious issues prior to you purchasing the car. I hope I get that mileage out of my car. - at the rate I'm going it will be 40.18 years before I get there.

My 95 SLS with a 4.6 N* was totalled at 541,000km. Darn thing still was able to drive itself up onto the car dolly even after being wrapped around a telephone pole.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

No kidding eh! Actually I had one guy come to look at it. He drove his 02 Impala. Honestly, his Impala looked like crap beside the STS!

I don't know much about the previous owners. I don't think that the car was looked after very well. I was super stressed out driving it home after I bought it because it was raining and it was misfiring like crazy. Turned out the wires were in horrific condition.

I'm really happy with this car - especially how well it stood up the first couple years I had it (ie my last couple highschool years & all associated abuse!!).

I have full records of everything I've done to the car and associated costs. Once I get rid of it, I plan to make a post detailing full operating costs, problems etc. Of all my friends that I've talked to, I believe only one has a cheaper-to-run car (but he has to drive a Grand Prix!!) :) Stay tuned

-Chris

Archived