CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hub bearing replacement in 1998 Deville limo

rasxtn

I have been told that a rear hub bearing in my limo needs replacement. The hub assembly is a difficult (and expensive) part to find, although the bearing itself is readily available. Can the bearing in the existing hub be replaced, rather than replacing the entire hub?

Deafening silence here. If no one has experience with the commercial chassis, I'll check my 1997 FSM and see what I can find on bearing replacement. I'm not absolutely sure my 1997 FSM covers the 1998 commercial chassis; the Seville/Deville had a platform change in that year.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I am pretty sure that the Seville and Eldorado changed platform between 97/98, and that the DeVille kept the old one longer and changed between 99/00. I have a '97 DeVille, and they are virtually identical from '97 to '99. Therefore, the info from Jims FSM may be relevant if there is not a difference due to the commercial chassis.

/Jonas

got me curious. i looked online and seems hubs are $1000 or so. 6 lug. i assumed even if HD, that they are sealed units but am not sure how bearings can be replaced separate from hub assy? sure this site is 99% car issues and very few limo/hearse issues. i did not know there were special parts for HD service on deville based limo conversions.

The Eldorado never did change platform; it used the E platform from 1992 through its last year, 2002. I do know for sure that the Seville changed platform for the 1998 model year, and I thought that the Deville shared its platform.

As best I can tell from the 1997 FSM (pages 3DA-2 and 3DA-3, particularly the drawing Figure 4 on page 3DA-3), the hub bearing is separate from the hub but the FSM addresses removal and replacement of the hub/bearing as an assembly. That's apparently because the FSM is intended to train techs and for their use as a reference, and changing the bearing is a machine shop job.

GM tends not to use refurbished parts for warranty work. Thus the dealer parts department may or may not be able to identify separate hub and bearing part numbers. If not, I would take the assembly to a machine shop and press out the old bearing and identify its OEM part number if possible, otherwise measure it with a micrometer and order an exact replacement.

As a matter of principle, I always replace wheel bearings in pairs. You may consider this for your limo. It will never get any cheaper or easier to change the other one than when you are ready to order one; you just order two, then repeat what you just did on the other side, with the second new bearing in-hand and ready to go.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Thanks again for the info. What got me interested in just changing the bearing is when I came across a parts supplier selling the hub without the bearing, and listed a separate part number for the bearing. You are correct - it is a six-lug setup. The Delco part number for the hub without bearing is RW20-61, and the part number for the bearing is RW205- the same I believe as all other devilles. I was unable to find a part number for the hub with the bearing installed. I will check to see if I can find a machine shop that can replace the bearing before I replace the hubs on a car of this vintage.

Pressing a wheel bearing out and pressing in a replacement is something almost any machine shop should be able to do. If they have precision lathes and presses with qualified operator(s), they can do that job. If they aren't busy they can do it while you wait. Don't get involved in a long magazine article, either.

I know this is a completely different vehicle, but my sister-in-laws Chevy Prizm had a wheel bearing going out and we just put in the bearing. Our local transmission shop pressed the bearing in for us. Seems to be fine so far.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

• 3 weeks later...

Archived