CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PCM 1189 Engine oil pressure circiut??

hiljak

I have this code displayed as a current code in my OBD along with 1599 (stall or miss) as history. The car died as I let off the gas o nthe highway but started back up in neutral no problem. It hasn't died since but shows this code (note the check engine light is not lit). The car has a "stumble" to the idle every so often that I haven't been able to track down.

There is also a code MSM B1817 that I can't find any info on. What does all this mean? :blink:

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

• 2 years later...

I have this code displayed as a current code in my OBD along with 1599 (stall or miss) as history. The car died as I let off the gas o nthe highway but started back up in neutral no problem. It hasn't died since but shows this code (note the check engine light is not lit). The car has a "stumble" to the idle every so often that I haven't been able to track down.

There is also a code MSM B1817 that I can't find any info on. What does all this mean? :blink:

Hi

I somtimes get the code, too.

Check if it is history, but if there is no SES-light....

First of all check the connector of the oil pressure switch.... unplug it, if needed clean it

and plug it on again...

If not, read this:

DTC P1189 Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit

The low oil pressure sensor is normally closed. When oil pressure increases above 1 to 4.5 psi the switch contacts open. The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies 12 volts to the oil pressure input circuit. With low oil pressure the 12 volts is pulled low to ground. This diagnostic tests for an open condition of the oil pressure switch circuit. If the engine has been off long enough for engine temperature to drop by 10°C (50°F), then a shorted, low oil pressure, condition of the circuit should be observed prior to engine running. If the engine has not been cranked and oil pressure has been detected DTC P1189 will set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

•DTCs P0117, P0118, P1111, and P1114 are not set.

•The ignition is ON.

•The engine is OFF.

•Engine temperature 10°C (50°F) is less than last key OFF temperature.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

Circuit open for 10 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

•The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test has been run and failed.

•The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

•The DTC becomes history when the conditions for setting the DTC are no longer present.

•The history DTC clears after 40 malfunction free warm-up cycles.

•The PCM receives a clear code command from the scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids

Inspect the oil pressure sensor input and ground circuits for an intermittent open or poor oil pressure sensor terminal contact. With the engine OFF the oil pressure display on the scan tool should indicate LOW. An open sensor/circuit would indicate LOW with the engine OFF.

Inspect for the following conditions:

Many situations may lead to an intermittent condition. Perform each inspection or test as directed.

Important:

Remove any debris from the connector surfaces before servicing a component. Inspect the connector gaskets when diagnosing or replacing a component. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion.

•Loose terminal connection

•Use a corresponding mating terminal to test for proper tension. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections, and to Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems for diagnosis and repair.

•Inspect the harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and faulty terminal to wire connection. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections, and to Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems for diagnosis and repair.

•Damaged harness--Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness inspection does not reveal a problem, observe the display on the scan tool while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the sensor. A change in the scan tool display may indicate the location of the fault. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems for diagnosis and repair.

•Inspect the powertrain control module (PCM) and the engine grounds for clean and secure connections. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems for diagnosis and repair.

regards.... Psycho <_<

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

MSM = Memory Seat Module.

Probably nothing to worry about unless you're having an annoying problem with the seats.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 3 weeks later...

I have that code realy often.

The new switch is ordered and will be changed within the next 3 weeks.

The 95 STS had a circuit, that could disable the engine start, if the switch don't opens (no or not enough oil pressure).

The 99 STS just sets a code, no MIL, no SES......

So what is this thing for ?

If the pressure is to low, the code will be set but the driver won't be informed.

????

Realy misterious :lol:

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

Archived