CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Serv Stability System

98ETC9

i successfully time-serting and replacing my front headgasket on my N*. Its been on the road about 2000 miles now. Lately i have been seeing the serv stability system message display and the car starts breaking on its own. i need to figure out what the problem is because i find this very dangerous while im on the freeway commuting to work most of the time. The front suspension is all intact and none of the plungers are broken. Before i blew the headgasket, starting from a stop sometimes the car would make a grinding sound like the abs was trying to be applied and my traction control light and abs light would come on.

Have you pulled the codes to see what code it's giving? I believe they are under the ABS system. I pretty common sensor to go on Stabilitrak is the sensor on the steering shaft.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

got some time and pulled these codes before work. i have had some voltage issues with the car lately their is a short somewhere i have not had time to find it. the sunroof clicks when it is lift open and will disharge my battery.

b1983

b1348

b1161

b1327

c1226

c1236

c1255

c1281

c1282

p0603

u1064

It would be good to clear all those codes and take a test drive, then display the codes again.

Several of your codes do not apply to your SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM message problem and several of your codes are not on the OBDII code list (I suspect typos).

One other question for you - did you drop the cradle/powertrain from the bottom to do the head gasket(s) repair??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

ok ill pull codes after my ride to work, i did not drop the cradle i did the work with it in the car.

Sounds like you repaired only the left bank gasket.

I asked the question only to get a sense of which chassis wire harness connectors might have been disturbed.

....what about dtc's c1281 c1282?

Those two are causing me gas pains; during more than 10 years of lurking around various Cadillac forums I have not seen a post referring to C1281 (C1281 - VSES Sensors Uncorrelated). In fact, I have no clue what VSES sensors are!!

C1282 - Yaw Rate Sensor Bias Circuit Malfunction

has been seen rarely. And usually exercising the chassis wire harness electrical connector will correct the code. But I cannot tell you where that sensor is mounted in your Eldorado. My guess would be under the rear seat cushion.

Hang in there....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Copied from the Corvette Forum

VSES is Vehicle Stability Enhancement System .....

more commonly referred to as Active Handling

errors in the VSES system can cause the unexpected activation of a brake caliper causing the vehicle to "pull" in a certain direction.

Posted Image

fixing 1 cylinder head is a time saver. removing heads in car is very rare on this site. the stars must be lined up right since your front head was bad, instead of the firewall head. seems to me you can remove the fuse for the stability/abs circuit. that should stop it engaging enough to affect your ride. won't fix the problem but you work on that eventually.

Cleared all dtc's it engaged twice while i was doing about 75. C1281,C1282 and B1348. If i was to pull the fuse would it cause my abs and traction control to stay illuminated and lock in second gear?

don't have FSM for that year. so i cannot say what fuses you have to play with. disabling TC usually starts car in 2nd gear but 3 and 4 work fine. not an issue for mostly highway driving.

Archived