CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Did a quick search which turned up nothing, so....

I'd read here, and "another place" with people asking how to clean the MAF sensor.

Some had suggested brake clean (ACK!!!) or carb cleaner (almost as bad!).

I found a product today from CRC called "SensorKleen" designed just for cleaning MAF's!

Very simple process:

Remove the "air buffer" or whatever it's called off the top of the corrugated rubber tube that goes from the air filter housing to the MAF.

Loosen the two hose clamps holding the tube on.

Compress it slightly and remove it, after unhooking the air inlet temp sensor on the side of it (don't break off the tab by yanking it too hard!).

Remove the MAF's connector (again with the tab).

Remove the 3 screws (7mm head) holding the MAF in place. There's a rubber "o-ring" that's not an "O" so don't go looking for a gasket thinking you lost it. :)

Look through it, and see if any of the holes in the air straightener are munged. You might be able to fix them with very gentle use of a tooth pick if they're folded over.

Blast the cleaner through the grill to clean in out, and use a paper town to clean the corners where goo seems to collect.

Flip it around, and blast from the back (sensor head too). I also gave it an extra good shot down the middle from the grill side right at the sensor.

Set it aside to dry for awhile (or while you're doing the next step!).

While I was there, I grabbed some carb cleaner (now it's OK!) and cleaned out the throttle body area. Crank open the plate and blast all over. Wipe it up with paper towels. Now blast it another 5 times, or whatever it takes to get it clean (mine was major filthy!).

Stick it all back together in reverse of the above.

You might have an extended cranking period to get it to start up now, as the cleaner all gets snorted through. Should be fine the next time.

My idle now seems to be smoother, and my throttle no longer sticks from closed. Seems like a worthwhile 20 minutes of my time. :D

The MAF sensor should never need cleaning as it is down stream from the air filter, but if you decided it needed it, Brakleen should work well. It leaves no residue. Probably as good as the stuff you used.

Clean the TB once a year and it will be much easier, not to mention you'll never have a sticky throttle and will head off idle problems.

Did a quick search which turned up nothing, so....

I'd read here, and "another place" with people asking how to clean the MAF sensor.

Some had suggested brake clean (ACK!!!) or carb cleaner (almost as bad!).

I found a product today from CRC called "SensorKleen" designed just for cleaning MAF's!

Very simple process:

Remove the "air buffer" or whatever it's called off the top of the corrugated rubber tube that goes from the air filter housing to the MAF.

Loosen the two hose clamps holding the tube on.

Compress it slightly and remove it, after unhooking the air inlet temp sensor on the side of it (don't break off the tab by yanking it too hard!).

Remove the MAF's connector (again with the tab).

Remove the 3 screws (7mm head) holding the MAF in place. There's a rubber "o-ring" that's not an "O" so don't go looking for a gasket thinking you lost it. smile.gif

Look through it, and see if any of the holes in the air straightener are munged. You might be able to fix them with very gentle use of a tooth pick if they're folded over.

Blast the cleaner through the grill to clean in out, and use a paper town to clean the corners where goo seems to collect.

Flip it around, and blast from the back (sensor head too). I also gave it an extra good shot down the middle from the grill side right at the sensor.

Set it aside to dry for awhile (or while you're doing the next step!).

While I was there, I grabbed some carb cleaner (now it's OK!) and cleaned out the throttle body area. Crank open the plate and blast all over. Wipe it up with paper towels. Now blast it another 5 times, or whatever it takes to get it clean (mine was major filthy!).

Stick it all back together in reverse of the above.

You might have an extended cranking period to get it to start up now, as the cleaner all gets snorted through. Should be fine the next time.

My idle now seems to be smoother, and my throttle no longer sticks from closed. Seems like a worthwhile 20 minutes of my time. biggrin.gif

Occasional cleaning of the MAF is ok but you said something that scared the hell out of me, its bolded above.

NEVER EVER EVER spray carb cleaner into your TB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT EXTENDED STARTING that you experienced is VERY VERY BAD! and it tells me that you DID IN FACT get carb cleaner into the INTAKE

The following photo is from a TECH who sprayed carb clearner into a customers TB to clean it. It pooled in the intake, and when the car was started as soon as the tech opened the throttle, the pooled carb cleaner was SUCKED INTO a cylinder and HYDROLOCKED the engine and BLEW a ROD out of the side of the engine!!!!! A GM TECH DID WHAT YOU SEE IN THE PHOTO DESTROYING THE ENGINE DOING THE EXACT SAME THING YOU DID!

NEVER

Put the carb cleaner on a rag, dip a detail/tooth brush that won't loose brissels, wear gloves but NEVER EVER spray carb cleaner into the TB to the point of EXTENDED cranked being needed, that is BAD ADVICE... look at this photo! It takes me a good 30 to 40 minutes to clean the TB throat and plate BY HAND, especially the back of the plate. GM replaced this customers engine! What really grabbed me was what is bolded in RED, NOW SPRAY IT ANOTHER 5 TIMES or WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!

Attention to all members there is plenty of advice on how to clean your TB if you do a search or even ASK HOW, pay no attention to the above advice in post #1 or you risk HYDROLOCKING your engine

Hydrolock_UEC_into_intake_with_pool.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Bear in mind - it's got over 250,000 on it, and I've owned it for all of 3 months (and no - I don't drive THAT much!).

The DPO was rather abusive of it in some ways. It actually looked like they might have run it without an air filter!

Archived