CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How I've Become a Statistic

Well, Folks,IT'S happening..The early stages are upon my beloved 94 STS. Rough idle for 10-15 seconds in the morning, quick wisp of the sweet odor, and clears up and runs fine all day. Although on Sat. A.M. I received "CHECK COOLANT LEVEL",I've not added anything yet nor does it overheat,YET. With a fairly thourough check for external leaks I've found none, at285K km and the age of it I don't think that repairs are in the future. However I will continue to drive around locally with an egg on the pedal, but that will just mean that self destruction will or may occur quicker since there will be no more WOT's or good hiway blasts :(:unsure:

look1-1-1.jpg

That is a shame, I am sorry to hear that. Keep your eye on temps, you have not said anything about higher than normal temps.

This could just be a bad radiator or wp seal, and not related to HGs, the miss could be ignition related, so hope for the best

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks to you too Jim,you're very informitive also...I lov(ed) that car it (was) so good,just a pleasure to drive,I'm going to miss it soo much. Don't know if I'll ever get another,since I need a truck for my small business...Thanks to all!!

look1-1-1.jpg

Thanks to you too Jim,you're very informitive also...I lov(ed) that car it (was) so good,just a pleasure to drive,I'm going to miss it soo much. Don't know if I'll ever get another,since I need a truck for my small business...Thanks to all!!

Sorry to hear about the head gasket failure Scott. Will you consider dropping in a used motor? I'd think there are a lot of 4.6's out there in junked cars etc. I have two old Caddy's...a '90 and '91 that I paid $500 each for. I know they are different motors...different everything but I'm sure there are some old 4.6's you could pick up cheap.

Greg

Thanks,Greg..I'm not really sur what's going on yet,however there are threads thru out the forum of those types of suggestions although they are highly not recommended since you might just pick up an engine with the same problems if not more...

look1-1-1.jpg

Yes Mike I've checked the items that you've outlined, the cap is a 1 month old ac/delco,and I have tightened up all the clamps involved,I haven't noticed any thing in the driveway, the metal heater tubes don't seem bad at all considering the age. Anything this car needs it gets,and only the good stuff(AC/DELCO). I do not smell coolant under the hood although that would be good under these circumstances??!!

look1-1-1.jpg

Archived