CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My Car won't start

DarylS

The issues with this car started with very rough running. OBD code showed miss on cyl 4. Checked coils and found cyl 4 bad so replaced it. Then MAF sensor code so replaced that. After which car started but ran fine until warm up then went back to missing again, then idling up and then down to almost a stall. Checked air intake for cracks and cleaned throttle body at intake and butterfly. No difference. Now car won't start and I don't think its getting fuel but believe electronics to be the issue. The following codes on inboard computer were read:

PCM 1106 History

IPC B1552

PZM B1552 and 1558

RFA U1064

any help would be greatly appreciated.

P1106 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage

B1552 Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

B1558 BCM EPROM Checksum Error

U1064 Loss of Communications with DIM

If the B1558 is CURRENT then you may have a problem with the PZM. The P1106 probably means that the connector to the MAP sensor is loose. That could cause a feeling that is indistinguishable from a miss because the PCM switches from closed-loop DFI to open loop operation when the MAP is offline. If so, it's not actually a miss but it feels just like one because the spark is retarded several degrees.

The B1552 means that the battery has been disconnected lately. The U1014 isn't important if your key fob is working properly. I would pop the beauty cover, clean and tighten the connector to the MAP sensor, clear the codes from the HVAC buttons, and see what comes back.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks but nothing is going to come back if I can't start it. Sounds like its not getting fuel which could be Crank Position Sensor. I know that if they are bad the PCM will not send current to open the injectors. I never said anything about U1014. The code I have is U1064. What is the PZM and where is the MAP sensor located. Please remember this is a 2002 ETC and not a 1997. Thanks.

Thanks but nothing is going to come back if I can't start it. Sounds like its not getting fuel which could be Crank Position Sensor. I know that if they are bad the PCM will not send current to open the injectors. I never said anything about U1014. The code I have is U1064. What is the PZM and where is the MAP sensor located. Please remember this is a 2002 ETC and not a 1997. Thanks.

OK checked connectors and it started. Ran smooth when cold but then started to sound like a miss. PCM code P0121 current and smoke coming from back side of engine near fire wall so I shut it down. ??????????

OK checked connectors and it started. Ran smooth when cold but then started to sound like a miss. PCM code P0121 current and smoke coming from back side of engine near fire wall so I shut it down. ??????????

Running up to 3/4 hot on guage intermittently and back to 1/2 Miss intermittent PCM codes p0300 and p0101

OK I'm back again. Here is what I am thinking and really need some help in trying to tell how to disqualify any or all of these.

#1 CAT

#2 PCM

#3 CKP Sensors

To my knowledge any of these could be bad and not throw a code specific to it. Any ideas?????????????????

Running up to 3/4 hot on guage intermittently and back to 1/2

You also need to rule out a head gasket.

And the TPS.

P0121 - TP Sensor Circuit Insufficient Activity

Running up to 3/4 hot on guage intermittently and back to 1/2

You also need to rule out a head gasket.

And the TPS.

P0121 - TP Sensor Circuit Insufficient Activity

thanks !!

TPS code went away on its own. Did think of head gasket but ruled it out for the time being as all the symptoms that would indicate that are so inconsistant. (except that we are not losing coolant anywhere and the level is not decreasing at all) Can't check the temp of the CAT until Monday or Tues when I get a lift free but may check compression on Monday. Am leaning toward the 3 items mentioned for the time being unless someone has something I have not mentioned or thought of. Also never over heated it and it was running perfectly until it started to miss last week.

Not sure where you live, so outside temp maybe a factor. If you live in a warm climate and you are not driving the car the temp gauge going to 3/4 and then back to half would be normal as the second set of fans would kick on.

I'm in Tampa Bay are Florida and the movement of the guage is rapid both up and down and comes at the same time that the running gets rougher and idle is lower. After the fans come on it settles back to normal range and the idle becomes more even .

A test of the coolant for combustion by-products will eliminate head leakage, which is important because all of your symptoms have been reported by one or another as early head leakage symptoms, and that will let us focus on what the real problem is.

If you're getting an intermittent P0101 then you still have a connector or wiring problem with the MAP. The MAP going online and offline can feel like an engine miss, and can cause surges and drops in idle speed.

If you saw smoke you should try to figure out where that came from as a high priority.

Another thing that can cause your problems is a leaking FPR.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived